Today's Daily Wail front page

CurtainRaiser

John52 - 2021-11-05 8:18 AM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-11-05 7:29 AM

Birdbrain - 2021-11-05 6:12 AM

Talking of sleaze ... https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/nov/04/mp-claudia-webbe-given-suspended-sentence-for-harassing-woman ... Also, in Jays words over 50 Labour Councillors, MPs and Mayors have been arrested, suspended or sentenced THIS YEAR ALONE ...

... I get a feeling we wont want to discuss that though ... Hypocrisy lives strong on Chatterbox ... Anyone remember the MPs expenses scandal??? Of course we do it was only a few short years ago, guess which political party headed the list by a long way of MPs sent to the slammer for sleazy dealings??? ... Poor darlings

Whereas in the Tory party you can engage in conspiracy to have a journalist beaten up and go on to be PM.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2013/mar/24/boris-johnson-accused-nasty-video?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Why do people vote for him?

.. unless they just go by his friendly genial appearance and body language

Which confirms my suspicion that the people who do us the most harm are invariably the best dressed and presentable looking

They have to be to gain our trust before they shaft us

If I was a dodgy "Swiss Tony" back street car salesman I would give my right arm for all their names and addresses. I just dont get it. How can anyone not see through this charlatan now? It is beyond belief. They are either terminally thick or they really dont care about this country.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pelmetman - 2021-11-05 8:11 AM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-11-04 3:02 PM

Do you think Pelmet will concede that Owen Paterson is now officially a LOSER?

Nope.........He's a victim of the NASTY LOSER Brigade ;-) ........

You surprise me Dave.

I thought you would blame Macron, or the German plans for a fourth reich.

;-)

malc d - 2021-11-05 8:53 AM

You surprise me Dave.

;-)

No. Dave would never be so specific. It will be the fault of the EU. Patterson after all was a member of the ERG and a proper full fat Brexiteer. It must be down to the EU that he has fallen surely. *-)

The actual events aside, the thing that most concerns me is that they just can't see it!

One man was found to have breached the standards rules, under a system that has been in place since, I understand, 2015. Another, who is currently under investigation (the PM), at the very least supported a proposed change to the composition of the committee that adjudicates cases referred by the Parliamentary Standards Commissioner (an appointed officer of parliament - not an MP), to majority load it with members of the governing party.

The Commissioner alone receives and investigates complaints that MPs have breached standards. If the Commissioner is convinced of the merit of the complaint, s/he passes it, with the outcome of the investigation, to the Committee for Standards (who are all MPs) to examine and adjudicate. In this case the committee found the MP in question had breached standards and recommended a 30 day suspension, opening the door to the MP being de-selected by their constituents and so forcing a by-election. So the actual risk was that a government with an 80 seat majority might lose just one of those 80 seats.

Under the present procedure (operational since 2015) the Commissioner has referred 28 cases to the committee - 3 in 15/16, 4 in 16/17, 1 in 17/18, 2 in 18/19, 4 in 19/20, 6 in 20/21, and 8 in 21/22. The committee has reviewed all these cases in the same way, under the same rules - and yet in just this one case the procedure is seen as so unsatisfactory that its rules must be re-written, and this one MPs sanction set aside, until the new rules are agreed and the new, Conservative dominated, committee is in place.

So, just leaving aside the moralising over the propriety of the, ahem, unprecedented, timing of this proposed change, it seems a majority of elected MPs, including the PM and other cabinet members, could not see the obvious. It looks like a banana republic style fix to protect one of their own from the consequences of his behaviour, under a system that had previously delivered judgements on those 27 other cases - without attracting a pressing need to reform the system. So, why is this reform now so urgent that it must be remedied mid-trial?

Fundamentally, this is about judgements. The judgements of the accused MP in acting as he did. The judgements of those who apparently could not see how their proposed fix would look to others. The judgements of those who supported them in that venture. The judgements of those who actually voted in favour of the change. The judgements of those who whipped their members to support the change. The judgements of those who, when the inevitable public outrage exploded, were suddenly able to see that to which they had previously been blind. And ultimately, the judgements of those who selected, and elected, jobsworths to be their MPs.

Our MPs are not elected to act as sheep, and parliament does not function properly when they do. Our MPs are elected to hold the government of the day to account - without fear or favour. To their great credit, some did. But far too many lamentably failed in that primary duty. Those who so energetically championed this disastrous course of action should seriously consider their positions. Those who acquiesced reluctantly under the threat of sanctions should think long and hard - and learn the obvious lesson. They are in parliament to exercise their judgement in the best interests of their constituents and the country as a whole, even if so doing conflicts with the present interest of their party.

What about the good honest firms who have missed out on lucrative taxpayer funded contracts because they wouldn't pay bribes to sleazebag Tory MP's

Are they LOSERS too?

Brian Kirby - 2021-11-05 9:14 AM

The actual events aside, the thing that most concerns me is that they just can't see it!

One man was found to have breached the standards rules, under a system that has been in place since, I understand, 2015. Another, who is currently under investigation (the PM), at the very least supported a proposed change to the composition of the committee that adjudicates cases referred by the Parliamentary Standards Commissioner (an appointed officer of parliament - not an MP), to majority load it with members of the governing party.

The Commissioner alone receives and investigates complaints that MPs have breached standards. If the Commissioner is convinced of the merit of the complaint, s/he passes it, with the outcome of the investigation, to the Committee for Standards (who are all MPs) to examine and adjudicate. In this case the committee found the MP in question had breached standards and recommended a 30 day suspension, opening the door to the MP being de-selected by their constituents and so forcing a by-election. So the actual risk was that a government with an 80 seat majority might lose just one of those 80 seats.

Under the present procedure (operational since 2015) the Commissioner has referred 28 cases to the committee - 3 in 15/16, 4 in 16/17, 1 in 17/18, 2 in 18/19, 4 in 19/20, 6 in 20/21, and 8 in 21/22. The committee has reviewed all these cases in the same way, under the same rules - and yet in just this one case the procedure is seen as so unsatisfactory that its rules must be re-written, and this one MPs sanction set aside, until the new rules are agreed and the new, Conservative dominated, committee is in place.

So, just leaving aside the moralising over the propriety of the, ahem, unprecedented, timing of this proposed change, it seems a majority of elected MPs, including the PM and other cabinet members, could not see the obvious. It looks like a banana republic style fix to protect one of their own from the consequences of his behaviour, under a system that had previously delivered judgements on those 27 other cases - without attracting a pressing need to reform the system. So, why is this reform now so urgent that it must be remedied mid-trial?

Fundamentally, this is about judgements. The judgements of the accused MP in acting as he did. The judgements of those who apparently could not see how their proposed fix would look to others. The judgements of those who supported them in that venture. The judgements of those who actually voted in favour of the change. The judgements of those who whipped their members to support the change. The judgements of those who, when the inevitable public outrage exploded, were suddenly able to see that to which they had previously been blind. And ultimately, the judgements of those who selected, and elected, jobsworths to be their MPs.

Our MPs are not elected to act as sheep, and parliament does not function properly when they do. Our MPs are elected to hold the government of the day to account - without fear or favour. To their great credit, some did. But far too many lamentably failed in that primary duty. Those who so energetically championed this disastrous course of action should seriously consider their positions. Those who acquiesced reluctantly under the threat of sanctions should think long and hard - and learn the obvious lesson. They are in parliament to exercise their judgement in the best interests of their constituents and the country as a whole, even if so doing conflicts with the present interest of their party.

I guess even Johnson couldn't change the rules when the sleaze inquiry got round to him. So he has to do it earlier to pretend he is protecting someone else.

As Cummings put it Tory MPs are expendable cannon fodder. Its inconceivable to me that Johnson would go to these lengths to protect anyone other than himself.

With £37 billion gone on the useless test & trace alone, and the details of the useless overpriced PPE contracts still hidden from us, we are obviously only scratching the surface here. There must be a great deal more sleaze we don't know about.

Whats also troubling me is this

I am not married so maybe I am missing something here.

What I don't understand us how his wife's suicide is an excuse

I can see its a trauatic family situation.

If he needed time off, became forgetful, neglected his work etc I would sympathise with that.

But who would think my wife is suicidal, so I will go out soliciting bribes to push dodgy firms in front of honest ones in the queue for taxpayer funded contracts.

As far as I can see, going out soliciting bribes at a time of family trauma just makes it even worse.

John52 - 2021-11-05 9:50 AM

I guess even Johnson couldn't change the rules when the sleaze inquiry got round to him. So he has to do it earlier to pretend he is protecting someone else.

As Cummings put it Tory MPs are expendable cannon fodder. Its inconceivable to me that Johnson would go to these lengths to protect anyone other than himself.

With £37 billion gone on the useless test & trace alone, and the details of the useless overpriced PPE contracts still hidden from us, we are obviously only scratching the surface here. There must be a great deal more sleaze we don't know about.

Whats also troubling me is this

I am not married so maybe I am missing something here.

What I don't understand us how his wife's suicide is an excuse

I can see its a trauatic family situation.

If he needed time off, became forgetful, neglected his work etc I would sympathise with that.

But who would think my wife is suicidal, so I will go out soliciting bribes to push dodgy firms in front of honest ones in the queue for taxpayer funded contracts.

As far as I can see, going out soliciting bribes at a time of family trauma just makes it even worse.

Could be that Gove and Lord Agnew are next in the firing line. Its long since been established that there is a VIP fast track lane for Tory supporters. Its almost like they just dont care anymore.

https://goodlawproject.org/news/michael-gove-lord-agnew-testing-vip-lane/

Apparently Patterson had no idea his wife was going to commit suicide, not an incline (his words) yet he now claims this case contributed towards it. Perhaps it did as surely even a Tory MP would not stoop so low to make such a claim if it was false would they?

Because they've got away with corruption for so long they feel they are beyond reproach. You ask "why is this reform now so urgent that it must be remedied mid-trial".....Johnson may face further investigation over Wallpapergate; https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/11/04/electoral-commission-hands-findings-boris-johnsons-luxury-flat/

He's already been investigated by the standards watchdog three times in the past three years, more than any other MP; https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/04/is-worry-over-future-inquiries-driving-pm-to-change-watchdog

So Johnson is desperate to shut down anything which dares to question his parties corruption which stretches way beyond his flat refurb to dishing out millions of pounds in dodgy Covid contracts to his Tory chums.

There were as you say, some Tory MP's who voted against Johnsons attempt to take control over the independent watchdog but they are extremely few, just 13 in total. Here is one Tory MP with a moral backbone who was instantly sacked for putting the interests of the country first.......then reinstated when Johnson did his U-turn; https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/owen-paterson-tory-mp-sleaze-row-angela-richardson-ministerial-aide-michael-gove-b964394.html

Check out the list I posted yesterday to see how your MP voted. Typically mine fell in line with Johnsons sleazeballs but I expected nothing less from him. The Tory MP of my local town I was pleased to see was among the 13 who put country first.

Barryd999 - 2021-11-05 1:35 PM

An excellent monologue from JOB, possibly his best ever.

Such a shame that the very people who need to listen to this wont. Time to take those Brexit blindfolds off I think and take your fingers out of your ears.

JOB is right....Blinded by Brexit, you only have to see the inane posts from the Brexit Parrot as an example.

Interesting he mentioned Parrot Pelmets fave "read" as he's always quoting from it but didn't yesterday......this is why.

Tories turn on Boris Johnson: Senior MPs question Prime Minister's judgment over Owen Paterson shambles and Chief Whip is under pressure to quit - as it emerges watchdog PM tried to force out is set to probe HIM over Wallpapergate

Senior Tories were questioning Boris Johnson's judgment last night after he was forced to abandon efforts to save a former minister who broke lobbying rules.

In a humiliating U-turn, the Prime Minister dropped a bid to prevent Owen Paterson being suspended from Parliament for lobbying on behalf of two firms which paid him more than £500,000.

The former Cabinet minister resigned hours later, saying he wanted to leave behind the 'cruel world of politics'.

Mr Johnson was described as being 'p****d off' by the crisis he viewed as an 'own goal' and a distraction from the progress being made on climate change at the Cop26 conference in Glasgow, the Times reports.

The frustrated premier is said to have asked aides how he had been put in such a position, one government source claimed.

Then in further embarrassment for the PM, it then emerged the same watchdog he has tried to force out is now set to investigate him over the so-called 'Wallpapergate'.

Mr Johnson was forced to deny claims that his botched effort to overhaul the standards process had been a 'pre-emptive' strike on Kathryn Stone.

But it can now be revealed that the PM himself stands to be investigated by Miss Stone over the lavish revamp of his Downing Street flat.

There follows a piece by that bastion of the right wing Andrew Pierce;

A political fiasco that started over claret and pheasant at the Garrick... and ended in humiliation

Tuesday night at the Garrick, the favoured London watering hole since 1831 of the illustrious denizens of the media, legal, theatrical and political world.

And there, holding court in boisterous fashion was Boris Johnson, totally at ease in the wood-panelled splendour of the private gentlemen's club, amongst old friends from his days as a journalist.

Quite how he squared that flight with his final utterances at the UN beanfeast, when he urged the world to stop 'quilting the earth in an invisible and suffocating blanket of CO2', is not known. But then Boris had a dinner date and he wasn't going to miss it.

In the Milne Room, beneath a portrait of AA Milne – the creator of Winnie The Pooh who bequeathed a portion of the rights to his books to the Garrick – Boris joined 30 former leader writers (including three women who are permitted as guests at the club but not as members) from The Daily Telegraph.

The group tucked into fish cakes and pheasant followed by chocolate souffle at £85 a head, all washed down with a piquant club Claret.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10167519/Senior-MPs-question-Prime-Ministers-judgment-Owen-Paterson-lobbying-shambles.html

Daily Mail?

Mr Johnson was described as being 'p****d off' by the crisis he viewed as an 'own goal' and a distraction from the progress being made on climate change at the Cop26 conference in Glasgow

Seems to me its Cop26 he is using as a distraction from his Brexit disaster and sleaze.

You can see how serious he is about Cop26 by his leasing another private jet instead of using the train.

Bulletguy - 2021-11-04 3:08 PM

As he should have done long ago. Johnson should go too as he's presided over the sh1tshow determined to block their sleaze from public scrutiny.

Just 13 Tory MP's had a moral backbone and I was pleased to see the Tory MP for my local town was one of them. My own MP fell in line with the rest of Johnsons puppets. The link give the entire list so you can look how your own MP voted.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2021/nov/04/how-did-your-mp-vote-on-the-owen-paterson-case

Only think I don't understand is which Tory MPs voted to neuter the sleaze inquiry because they had no moral backbone. And which did it because they have sleaze to cover up of their own. Interesting that its only the Tory party trying to neuter the sleaze inquiry - not the other parties. Which proves to me the Tories are the most corrupt.

Such a shame that the very people who need to listen to this wont. Time to take those Brexit blindfolds off I think and take your fingers out of your ears.

Yes thats good

Pelmet should listen to that but he's still got his Brexit earmuffs on :-S

Yes thats good

Pelmet should listen to that but he's still got his Brexit earmuffs on :-S

Birdbrain - 2021-11-05 3:30 PM

I see Angelas come back to life after hiding for weeks ... Here she is at PMs Questions this week giving it what for ...

... Beautiful

? Thats not Angela

Looks like Penny Mordaunt - all hot air and no facts, just like her boss.

So the anti sleaze guns are now turning to focus on Johnson. About time.

Cue massive distraction when that happens and I bet it will be something Brexity. Maybe a war! Almost certainly it will be Brexity though as that means as JOB says in the video Johnson will be untouchable. Will probably involve the French, Fishing, Article 16, toys thrown out of pram blaming funny foreigners, that kind of thing to get the terminally angry back onside.

I think that Johnsons first instinct will be to visit a factory somewhere so he can put on a high-viz jacket and hard hat, and pretend he's one of us.

It must be quite a struggle for him every day to hide his disdain for the electorate.

:-|

Birdbrain - 2021-11-05 6:12 AM

Talking of sleaze ... https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/nov/04/mp-claudia-webbe-given-suspended-sentence-for-harassing-woman ... Also, in Jays words over 50 Labour Councillors, MPs and Mayors have been arrested, suspended or sentenced THIS YEAR ALONE ...

... I get a feeling we wont want to discuss that though ... Hypocrisy lives strong on Chatterbox ... Anyone remember the MPs expenses scandal??? Of course we do it was only a few short years ago, guess which political party headed the list by a long way of MPs sent to the slammer for sleazy dealings??? ... Poor darlings

I know you don't like me asking you questions, Antony, but I'm (again :-)) unclear as to your point.

Are you arguing that it is OK for Conservatives to have corrupt MPs/councillors - because Labour and others have also had some?

Are you advancing the views of Jay Beecher as a neutral advocate. If so, have you done a simple Google search on his name? If you have, I'm shocked that you trust his advocacy.

Or is it just that you think people should object equally to all examples of dishonesty in office? But then, why would you suppose that those who object to the government's present antics, did not object equally to those other, equally reprehensible, antics by others, at other times, in other places?

Or is this really just an example of whataboutery? A plea to talk about anything other than what the present government is doing? But then, why on earth would you wish for that?

Mr Birdbrain keeps telling me I need to let Brexit go but I think its the hard core Brexiteers that wont let it go. There can be no logical explanation for anyone supporting Johnson and his cronies now. Brexit is done, well it isnt but nobody is going to be taking it away from you anytime soon. As a result we have the worst and most corrupt government ever so its time I think to stop defending them because they were the government that delivered Brexit. Its high time Johnson was gone and it needs the public and the media to admit that.

Seems probable, but definitely this one: https://tinyurl.com/28hv43w4 this one: https://tinyurl.com/4zmk3fmj this one: https://tinyurl.com/3pkb9em8 this one: https://tinyurl.com/fhkd8pfk and even this one: https://tinyurl.com/257f5zwt

I'm not an advocate of character assassination, but what's left to assassinate - that he hasn't already done for himself? So neutral? No. Definitely off on the fringes, and not someone I'd wish to quote.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2021-11-05 9:13 AM

malc d - 2021-11-05 8:53 AM

You surprise me Dave.

;-)

No. Dave would never be so specific. It will be the fault of the EU. Patterson after all was a member of the ERG and a proper full fat Brexiteer. It must be down to the EU that he has fallen surely. *-)

As the drivel posted on here attests Barry ;-) ..........

It was precisely because he was a Brexiteer...... is the REAL reason why you sado LOSERS are having a feeding frenzy *-) ........

What sad folk you LOSERS have become 8-) .........

Fortunately I have a life B-) ..........

Brian Kirby - 2021-11-05 6:14 PM

Seems probable, but definitely this one: https://tinyurl.com/28hv43w4 this one: https://tinyurl.com/4zmk3fmj this one: https://tinyurl.com/3pkb9em8 this one: https://tinyurl.com/fhkd8pfk and even this one: https://tinyurl.com/257f5zwt

I'm not an advocate of character assassination, but what's left to assassinate - that he hasn't already done for himself? So neutral? No. Definitely off on the fringes, and not someone I'd wish to quote.

"Far right-wing political writer and ex-Ukipper"........claims to be a ‘journalist’........."heavily involved with producing content for the controversial far right website Politicalite".

No bias there then! 8-)

Archived