In France and engine won't start!

derek500

Arrived in France at beginning of September and the following morning the engine wouldn't start.   Just clicking sound when turning on ignition.   Recovery came and got it started by connecting a gizmo to a terminal under the bonnet. He said it was the battery even though the Sargent said it 13.2v

Been fine for a month.  Drove to Ouistreham this morning checked in and when starting up to board the same thing happened! 

They tried to start it with cables from truck but no joy.  Missed ferry and they're going to tow us on the afternoon crossing and we've got to arrange breakdown/recovery at Portsmouth.  Sargent says vehicle battery at 13.1v

Is the voltage too low for starting?   What else could be the problem?

Clean the battery terminals, maybe just loosen them and twist back and forth, retighten, earth strap to body connection

Starter motor solenoid stuck, could try manually rocking van in gear or if you can see starter tap it with hammer handle or something solid

Good luck

13.1 or 13.2 volts is not the true battery voltage! It is most likely a small charging current from a solar panel (assuming you have a solar panel?).

To measure the true battery voltage disconnect the negative terminal then wait an hour for the voltage to settle then measure the voltage. If it is above 12.2 - 12.3 volts then it is at least holding charge.

Now reconnect the battery terminal and measure the voltage at the terminals as you try to crank the engine. If it falls well below 12.0 volts then the battery is not good.

Keith.

What is the make and model. It may be your starter relay or as others have pointed out starter solenoid , or poor earth or poor battery connections

Sometimes removing the starter relay and putting it back in and out a few times may just be enough to clean the connections 

Safe home  

Well,  towed on ferry yesterday afternoon and towed off at Portsmouth.  AA arrived within 20 minutes and after a bit of fiddling started it by connecting to battery under floor in front of seat.  His verdict was a dodgy cell in the battery.  Drove home without turning engine off.   Got home at 1.30am this morning after getting up at 5am UK time to catch the first ferry!  Got to bed at 3am.    Brittany Ferries were excellent, not charging a supplement for the second crossing and giving us our Club Voyage free cabin.

Haven't tried starting it again.   Battery is only a couple of years old.   Still on the same two leisure batteries we got with the van from new in 2014.

If it were my van I would buy a new starter battery if for no other reason than it just ain't worth the hassle.

You might also consider one of those jump start packs just in case?

Faulty earth strap is a known issue so that too, if not already done, needs to be sorted.

What price peace of mind?

The battery may only be two years old but that doesn't mean it hasn't started to die. Battery problems are common and usually, but not always of course, issues are cured with a new battery which to me having had my fair share in the past is my first port of call. I have been driving for about 50 years and have never had an earth strap problem so not sure why that would be a known issue? 

Over the years plenty has been written on this forum by those with experience that cofirms that on these vehicles an internally and often unseen corroded or poorly contacting engine to chassis earth strap can be an issue. As it costs so little to resolve it seems to me to be daft not to at least rule out that  well established cause of non starting.

I personally never experienced any earthing issues, but then again I added a new earth strap to every van I owned from first hearing of it quite a few years ago.

Each owner is of course free to decide what he/she believes!

Hi

Glad your home, As Tracker points out , try the earth strap first , 

Then try all connections for corrosion and (make and break) pull them apart a few times , this may help to clean them and starter relay and fuses 

It may be prudent at this stage to replace the battery , check the correct one for your vehicle

If that fails. New starter as Tracker suggests should prevent further non starts 

Regards   

If your van is  Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen (Sevel Group) based ,  the starter motor main connection to the starter battery , which is under the floor , is on the  metal heavy duty fuse plate that is fitted to the positive terminal of the battery and it would be worth checking the connections that are fitted there are clean and tight . .  

Archived