Hymer 522 van 12v electrics tripping out

roger harruison

the van battery is new, and the leisure battery is 12 months old. Both have been checked out OK.

The latest 12v failure occured when the van had been sat in a field for 2 days without 240v hookup, but with the 12v system working. The 12v had been switched on (green indicator light illuminated on the panel above the side door) for 2 days. When i came to the van to go home, the 12v light had tripped out, and wouldn't reset. I had to drive home (200 miles) with the step out. When I reached home the 12v would still not rest. Next morning it reset straight away. All the fuses in the control box under the drivers seat are OK, and i have tried switching the control box off and on. The indicator panel above the side door was overhauled in germany last year. What I really need is access to an expert!! - can anyone recommend someone please?

Yes, it rained hard all Saturday, but the 12v stayed on during this time. Next day was bright and sunny and later in the afternoon was when the 12v tripped out. I then drove home through some more rain, still tripped out when I got home, dry overnight and I could trip it back on the next day.

It could be worth checking the Schaudt EBL supply fuses (main and 3amp ) near the leisure battery positive terminal for poor/corroded connections also some models of EBLs have internal polyswitches fitted that , if faulty , may cause this type of problem.

On the assumption that your electrical equipment is Schaudt, you could possibly try following this link:  https://tinyurl.com/253kgbg3  to A and N Caravan Services, who are authorised Schaudt distributors and repairers.  The founder, Allan Evans, was a stalwart on this forum until his untimely death a few years back, and the running of his firm has now been taken over by his chief engineer.  They are based, I think, somewhere in the Welsh borders, but their website no longer reveals where!  

However, I suspect someone else on here will know.  Their work was always praised, and Allan was a mine of information on Schaudt equipment.  However, before committing to a possibly long journey or added expense, what you describe sounds very similar to what happens when the battery voltage falls below the pre-set minimum limit and the Electroblok switches off to protect the battery from damage.  Have you checked this possibility?

The only thing that doesn't quite gel is the step not retracting when you started the engine, as I had thought this function, as well as one internal light, remained operational despite the general shut down.  Might someone have modified the wiring?

14 hours ago, roger harruison said:

The indicator panel above the side door was overhauled in germany last year.

You say this was done last year , what went wrong  ? Was there other problems Was the wiring modified ? Did you check your battery voltages when it tripped out ?

The symptoms suggest an intermittent  connection between battery and the electrial control system. This could be in either the positive or negative  paths from the battery.

Start the investigation at the battery terminals and work towards the main electrical unit. A voltmeter or test lamp would  be useful.

Mike

Can be a nightmare, just spent a shed load on a repair of Electroblock, no different, please bear in mind that if you have a problem with the micro processer in either unit, only Udo Lang (the makers of the units) in Germany can repair.

Check 2amp fuse at leisure battery, usally piggy backs the 50amp  fuse, it feed the electrobock with the control voltage, check same voltage reading of said wire at the electroblock, block 2 on 99(i think), Do a continuity test on wires from ebl to control panel,

You will hear the relay click in ebl when you lose power, should still have fridge heating step & frost protect  if your lucky, but you might be losing all.

Schaudt GmbH Elektrotechnik & Apparatebau

-Kundendienst-. Planckstr. 8.88677 Markdorf.Germany

hope its an easy fix for you.

Does the panel still look ok when you lose power.

Archived