Fridge not working

Fionas

Hi all,

just bought out first motorhome so all very new & slightly confusing, but also very exciting !

First question of probably many ! 
Mclaren sports shadow motorhome - having fridge problem, light in fridge is on & the inner dial is on maximum but it’s not cooling, is there another switch somewhere or something else I’m missing?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Any help?https://www.vitrifrigofridges.co.uk/installation.htm

The manufacturer says "In our experience it is extremely rare for a DC compressor to fail and the most common fridge fault is electrical. This is because DC fridges are very sensitive to voltage due to the relatively high start loads. If the wiring is undersized or there is any corrosion, or a poor connection in the wiring, the compressor will not start."

Many thanks to you all for all the advice it’s much appreciated.

we were told the fridge was working when we purchased the motor home !

I will try all your suggestions & let you know how I get on.

Fiona's first posting says "light in fridge is on"

There have been a few forum discussions about Vitrifrigo fridges (2018 example here). 

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/44834-compressor-fridge/

As the interior light of Fiona's fridge comes on when the door is opened, power must be reaching the fridge, and onecal has provided above a copy of the relevant part of Vitrifrigo's troubleshooting guidance.

I'm not sure from Fiona's enquiry whether her motorhome's fridge is 'dead', or starts up and runs but does not cool. As the Vitrifrigo fridge is the compressor type, start up should be audible. It's stating the obvious, but if the fridge won't start, it won't cool.

It's possible that, even if the 12V battery (presumably the motorhome's leisure-battery) that provides power to the fridge were heavily discharged, there might be sufficient voltage for the fridge's interior light to illuminate bit not sufficient voltage for the fridge to start up. It would be worth connecting the motorhome to a 240V power-supply to see if that does any good.

Hi again,

no luck I’m afraid, had the van on mains hook up, 12v on.

have turned the power on /off & tried with engine running but no joy !

the light comes on when the door is open so definitely power getting through but no noise & definitely no cooling !

24 minutes ago, Fionas said:

Hi again,

the light comes on when the door is open so definitely power getting through but no noise & definitely no cooling !

I guess that you need the services of someone with knowledge of DC and the use of a meter. As I understand it the operation is basic with an electrical supply which goes to the condenser via the thermostat.

Is your the model with the condenser separate from the main unit? I think the engine running has no effect, the fridge is a pure 12v/24v unit which operates at all times from the leisure battery. 

It was purchased from a dealer so at least I can take it back, although 3 hrs away !

I do have an electrician friend so I might ask him to have a look first.

many thanks to you all for your input & advice, I will of course post the outcome as it may well help some else in the future..

• Thanks 1

Hi 

Make sure you have a good 12V supply from your leisure battery/batteries  , That all connections are good (make and break) you friend should be able to confirm and all switches and fuse connections are good and working correctly. Just a tip for your friend  A 10mA light emitting diode (LED) (6) can be connected between the terminals + and D. In case the electronic unit records an operational error, the diode will flash a number of times. The number of flashes depends on what kind of operational error was recorded. Each flash will last ¼ second. After the actual number of flashes there will be a delay with no flashes, so that the sequence for each error recording is repeated every 4 seconds. If nothing simple can be found, bring it back to the dealer 

Regards 

Fridge fault codes .jpg

Fiona

On the webpage retrieved using the link provided by rayc

https://www.vitrifrigofridges.co.uk/installation.htm

it is suggested that Penguin Refrigeration be contacted for assistance and the contact details are here:

https://penguinfrigo.co.uk/contact-us/

If your electrician friend can't identify why your fridge won't run/cool, Penguin Refrigeration might be able to help.

Electrician friend coming out Tuesday so I will show him the information you have kindly supplied one cal . 
if no joy I will contact Penguin refrigeration as Derek has suggested, failing that back to the dealer !

glad I joined this forum you have all been very helpful, I’ll give an update next week.

Hi 

I think your dealer may be the best bet without playing around with your appliance too much and maybe invalidate your warranty or goodwill 

Usually ensuring  you have a good and charged leisure battery and all connections /switch's  and fuses are in good connections and the wiring is undamaged it should be fine The light on does not mean you are getting the proper voltage that is needed to work the fridge There may have been a solar panel connection fault or indeed solar panel removal ? Maybe now causing you issues 

Can you please confirm  that as your fridge  nameplate suggests it is a 12v/24v model only 

Hope this helps 

Edited by onecal

14 hours ago, Fionas said:

Hi again,

Good advice, I’ll contact dealer on Monday. Many thanks

It's possible the thermostat has failed. Get your electrician to bridge the thermostat contacts on the control unit to simulate  the thermostat action.

The compressor takes a high current to start and  inadiquate battery voltage or poor wiring/connections between battery and fridge can prevent starting. This is the most common issue where the compressor fridge fails to run. Measure the volts at the fridge controller to ensure it's within range , above 11.5 volts as its attempting to start. As discussed the fridge electronic controller has fault  indication if a led is added to the control unit

It's very unusal for the compressor or control unit to fail, but the mechanical thermostat  is a weak point.

A sucessful start  will be indicated by the fan running  continuously 

Mike

Edited by MikeF
  • Like 1

Hi

Can you please confirm  that as your fridge  nameplate suggests it is a 12v/24v model only.

Again the light on does not mean you are getting the proper voltage that is needed to work the fridge There may have been a solar panel connection fault or indeed solar panel removal ? Maybe now causing you issues . Excellent info for you and your electrician friend  from Mike in previous post as the thermostat is a common fault 

I will attach a DC battery protection settings which also may be of help to your friend , but I think the best advice is to return to your dealer without playing around with your appliance too much and maybe invalidate your warranty or loosing any goodwill from them if the appliance has been tampered with 

Hope this helps 

Fridge DC cut out voltages 1.jpg

Many thanks Mike & one cal ,

the dealer said it was 12v & having looked at the website pretty sure it is .

I have scene shot & printed off all the electrical advice you’ve provided for my electrician.

but as you have advised I will be aware of the warranty implications.

fiona

Hi Fiona

Yes I would not play around with it too much especially if the dealer may have the issue rectified for you. Without actually seeing and testing the appliance can be sometimes difficult to diagnose hopefully what may be a simple fault in the first instance 

Regards

Brendan