The UK Debt Iceburg....scary stuff.

BGD

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Parkmoy - interesting last quote on your post I happen to say I enjoy the good use of the English Language so must be one of the poor souls who find the English language used well a change from people who have to resort to expletives. - does not follow that I am impressed or unimpressed with the arguments. Carol.

Carol. in my part of the world (Ireland) talking 's*1te' is an art form indulged in by all and sundry usually in drink. It is not considered an expletive. It means talking a load of nonsense just for the sake of it.

My point is that some of the contributors here obviously think that dressing up their arguments in 'dictionary' English shows some sort of superiority. I base this on the fact that as the argument proceeds the language used becomes further and further away from everyday English and they obviously vie to outdo each other. That contrasts with most pub arguments where the opposite usually happens. The end result is the same - puerile insults. Not IMO the English language used well.

I apologize if my use of the language offended you.

parkmoy - 2008-11-20 5:57 PM

All that is apart from the those poor souls who are actually impressed with s*1te wrapped up in flowery language. *-)

Parkmoy I take your point, and I enjoy a good crack, and really don't mind what language is used, my point is and was and as I was the only one that said about liking the way Crinkly uses the English language it could only have been aimed at me, I found the 'poor souls who are actually impressed' quite patronising I may be many things but a poor soul ain't one of them.

That said life is to short to carry on silly arguments about who said what, so as in a pub, its all forgot now - and just to show no hard feeling I'll have a guinness and blackcurrant please - I like the pink froth on the top. Carol.

:-)

J9withdogs - 2008-11-21 6:32 PM

Hymer C 9. - 2008-11-21 6:28 PM

and just to show no hard feeling I'll have a guinness and blackcurrant please - I like the pink froth on the top. Carol.

No,no,no,no, Carol! Guinness and blackcurrant - that is just so WRONG >:-( :D :D

Janine, what about my wifes 1 St Patricks Day tipple of...

Guinness & lime... do I get some looks when I ask for that

Martyn (sorry for nipping off thread)

LordThornber - 2008-11-21 6:37 PM

J9withdogs - 2008-11-21 6:32 PM

Hymer C 9. - 2008-11-21 6:28 PM

and just to show no hard feeling I'll have a guinness and blackcurrant please - I like the pink froth on the top. Carol.

No,no,no,no, Carol! Guinness and blackcurrant - that is just so WRONG >:-( :D :D

Janine, what about my wifes 1 St Patricks Day tipple of...

Guinness & lime... do I get some looks when I ask for that

Martyn (sorry for nipping off thread)

Yuk, yuk, yuk.

BTW the thread was 'off' after about an hour, methinks! :D

{quote]That said life is to short to carry on silly arguments about who said what, so as in a pub, its all forgot now - and just to show no hard feeling I'll have a guinness and blackcurrant please - I like the pink froth on the top. Carol.

That is so gross! The Guinness bit I mean.

But please let me clear something up, I actually wasn't referring to you or any specific person. I was talking in general and not only about this particular thread. If you look at similar threads there always seem to be those who come out cheering on their favourite participant particularly when he/she appears to have swallowed the dictionary. I was always taught never to use a long word if a short one would do just as well so perhaps that explains my aversion to over elaborate language particularly when used to couch insults.

It's so easy to give unintentional offence via email :-S

That said I refuse to withdraw my remark about Guinness and black, that was completely intentional

(lol)

Tracker - 2008-11-21 7:05 PM

It looks as if all that pompous and self righteous wind and hot air has melted the iceberg as nobody has mentioned it for ages?

No call for self recrimination Richard. Like all threads it would have died a death anyway. ;-)

Guest Tracker
I could always enjoy being beaten into submission by kindness and warmth but no amount of cruelty or violence would ever turn me on so I'm afraid Miss Whiplash would be wasting her efforts with me - but it would have been a good laugh I suppose!

J9withdogs - 2008-11-21 7:16 PM

It must have been my Miss Whiplash outfit that beat them into submission :D :D

Certainly required me to go and have a lay down for a few hours. Thank goodness all is back to normal now. 8-)

I have enough trouble walking as it is.

Do you know why the Arabs got all the oil and the Irish got all the spuds?

It's because the Irish had first choice! {/quote]

Are you trying to say we didn't get the best of the deal? (lol)

BTW Rich what's black and blue and floats upside down in the Irish sea?

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-#

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

People who tell irish jokes >:-) >:-) >:-)

Guest Tracker

How to brainwash an Irishman - fill his wellies with water!

How to confuse an Irishman - stand two shovels against a wall and ask him to take his pick!

Sorry David - couldn't resist the temptation!

Sorry David - couldn't resist the temptation!

Keep 'em coming Rich, I'll let you know when (if!) you come up with one I've not heard (lol)

Just to stimulate you, what do you call a pregnant Irishwoman?- A dope carrier.

But remember, we have the last laugh like the Welsh and the Scots - we're not English >:-) >:-) >:-) >:-) >:-) >:-) >:-)

Archived