Will health & safety prove to be the ultimate culprit for the deaths at Grenfell?.........

Guest pelmetman

It would be worth anyone interested following this link http://tinyurl.com/y7aqqxwe , and also this link, http://tinyurl.com/ycw7dwsn . The former is an analysis of what had actually been attached to the outside of the building. How this was possible is beyond my understanding - I can only assume that there was no effective supervision of the construction process. The latter is the London Fire Brigades even log of the day. Once into the cladding, the fire ran up 19 floors in 12 minutes! No fire brigade can counter a fire that is travelling that fast, and doing so behind the cladding, so that water from hoses cannot reach it.

It is now reported that James Brokenshire wants to hold a two month consultation on the use of materials of limited combustibility (such as were supposedly used on Grenfell) with a view to introducing a ban. The estimated cost to landlords for substituting non-flammable materials is estimated at £12 million. I assume he hasn't yet read the fire brigade repost on how his materials of limited combustibility actually performed at Grenfell!

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not Grenfell but who could forget the Bradford City FC stadium fire in 1985 which killed 56 people. Like Grenfell that too was combustible construction....so the thing went up in a ball of flames. This video shows the seconds running by and how quickly it took the entire stadium.

Do we ever learn anything?

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-06-25 7:32 PM

Not Grenfell but who could forget the Bradford City FC stadium fire in 1985 which killed 56 people. Like Grenfell that too was combustible construction....so the thing went up in a ball of flames. This video shows the seconds running by and how quickly it took the entire stadium.

Yes if you're a loony lefty ;-) ..........Blame the Tories *-) ............

Apples and pears, Paul. IIRC, the Bradford stadium was of predominantly timber construction. OTOH Grenfell was brick and concrete, so incombustible until overclad with combustible materials.

To correctly learn the lesson, one must also account for context! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2018-06-26 1:22 PM

Apples and pears, Paul. IIRC, the Bradford stadium was of predominantly timber construction. OTOH Grenfell was brick and concrete, so incombustible until overclad with combustible materials.

Yes i knew it was wood but the short time it took to turn from a flame to raging inferno was staggering. Grenfell went up the same way......12 minutes for all floors. Can't help but wonder what effect it would have had without the cladding.

Absolutely ... Now we seem to have moved on from.bashing the Tories with the Grenfell bashing stick to likening the burning of a wooden structure with litter all underneath it to that of Grenfell ... Strange

Bulletguy - 2018-06-26 4:09 PM

Yes i knew it was wood but the short time it took to turn from a flame to raging inferno was staggering. Grenfell went up the same way......12 minutes for all floors. Can't help but wonder what effect it would have had without the cladding.

From previous experience of fires in tower blocks (not my personal experience, just from reports), and in view of the construction of Grenfell tower, it is highly probable the fire brigade first responders would have extinguished the fire in the flat within minutes.

It seems the fire had probably taken out the windows by that time, so the fire would have "flashed over" as the window went, first pulling in a large volume of air, and then virtually exploding out of the window as the fire got its "oxygen hit" from the new air. That may have necessitated the evacuation of the flat above, possibly those either side, to remove those occupants from further risk. It is also probable the flat below would have been evacuated due to the risk of flooding from the fire hoses.

As the occupant of the flat in which the fire started had by then escaped, it is quite probable that the whole incident would have concluded without injury or loss of life. This seems to be the usual outcome with fires in similar blocks (and other blocks of flats of lower height) built at around the same time, with full compartmentation and single stairs for both accommodation and escape.

Brian Kirby - 2018-06-26 6:39 PM

From previous experience of fires in tower blocks (not my personal experience, just from reports), and in view of the construction of Grenfell tower, it is highly probable the fire brigade first responders would have extinguished the fire in the flat within minutes.

Or the residents would have extinguished it before they got there if the Royal Tory Borough hadn't taken their fire hoses away :-(

We had a house fire in a previous home. Because the door was shut the the fire mainly smoulderd . BUt the smoke caused a lot of damage. The fire was in a bedroom, but the whole of the top floor and stairs where smoke damaged. . Not a good experience, as we had to live part time in a local hotel. Slept at hotel, but could use the downstairs during the day.

I am always wary of fire and in particular having candles , is a no no for me. Not that the fire was started by one, I hasten to add. It was started by a light bulb over heating. We lost all our clothes, apart from the ones in the washing machine at the time! All the beds, and much more, some that could never be replaced.

As the house was up for sale at the time, the only benefit we gained was the house was completely re decorated for the buyer!

I can commiserate with the victims, but not sure I agree with how the compensation has been dealt with. Surely even council tenants have contents insurance?

PJay

It seems the fire had probably taken out the windows by that time, so the fire would have "flashed over" as the window went, first pulling in a large volume of air, and then virtually exploding out of the window as the fire got its "oxygen hit" from the new air. That may have necessitated the evacuation of the flat above, possibly those either side, to remove those occupants from further risk. It is also probable the flat below would have been evacuated due to the risk of flooding from the fire hoses.

As the occupant of the flat in which the fire started had by then escaped, it is quite probable that the whole incident would have concluded without injury or loss of life. This seems to be the usual outcome with fires in similar blocks (and other blocks of flats of lower height) built at around the same time, with full compartmentation and single stairs for both accommodation and escape.

The main reason i posted that Bradford City FC stadium fire vid clip was purely to show just how quickly a small fire can turn into a raging inferno. That the stadium was a wood construction and still in public use in 1985 beggars belief. I cannot understand how that met fire safety standards of that day. No idea when it was built and i know Bradford FC isn't a wealthy club, but that's no excuse.

Most are aware of the work i used to be in and we once had a very serious explosion which quickly turned into a raging inferno. The power was frightening. The initial explosion actually caused a minor and blew a heavy blast proof door off it's hinges and it was found over 200mtrs away. The fire raged through the night and the entire factory was evacuated. The amount of powder which caused that was in a single canister no bigger than the size of a 2ltr paint pot.

Bulletguy - 2018-06-27 2:55 PM

The main reason i posted that Bradford City FC stadium fire vid clip was purely to show just how quickly a small fire can turn into a raging inferno. That the stadium was a wood construction and still in public use in 1985 beggars belief. I cannot understand how that met fire safety standards of that day. No idea when it was built and i know Bradford FC isn't a wealthy club, but that's no excuse.

Most are aware of the work i used to be in and we once had a very serious explosion which quickly turned into a raging inferno. The power was frightening. The initial explosion actually caused a minor and blew a heavy blast proof door off it's hinges and it was found over 200mtrs away. The fire raged through the night and the entire factory was evacuated. The amount of powder which caused that was in a single canister no bigger than the size of a 2ltr paint pot.

Why does it "beggar belief" that the stand at Bradford City was still in use in 1985 ??? ... How many fires previously at football grounds of similar construction had taken lives up to that point ??? I used to follow Huddersfield all over in the lower leagues and many grounds at that time were similar ... Change happens when disaster strikes like Heysel , Hillsborough , Bradford etc and then we use those famous words lessons must be learnt and change happens ... Anyway comparing the Bradford fire disaster with Grenfell is totally wrong as they were 2 totally different types of fire

antony1969 - 2018-06-27 3:10 PM

Why does it "beggar belief" that the stand at Bradford City was still in use in 1985 ??? ...

Since discovered it was built in 1911 so 74 years old. That's antiquated. The stand had been officially condemned and was due for demolition. I've already clarified the reason i posted that vid......not comparing with Grenfell but just showing how quickly a small 'innocent' fire can quickly turn into a huge raging inferno when basically a building is not fit for purpose.

Bulletguy - 2018-06-27 3:59 PM

Why does it "beggar belief" that the stand at Bradford City was still in use in 1985 ??? ...

Since discovered it was built in 1911 so 74 years old. That's antiquated. The stand had been officially condemned and was due for demolition. I've already clarified the reason i posted that vid......not comparing with Grenfell but just showing how quickly a small 'innocent' fire can quickly turn into a huge raging inferno when basically a building is not fit for purpose.

You obviously know nothing about football stadiums of the time ... Youve looked on Wikipedia and found your Bradford info ... Stadiums around the country at the time were of the same age or older and then in a short number of years stadium disasters led to change ... Comparing the 2 disasters ain't cutting it

antony1969 - 2018-06-27 5:13 PM

You obviously know nothing about football stadiums of the time ... Youve looked on Wikipedia and found your Bradford info ... Stadiums around the country at the time were of the same age or older and then in a short number of years stadium disasters led to change ...

Bradford changed it with immediate effect.

"The disaster led to new safety standards in UK football grounds, including the banning of new wooden grandstands."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/571119/fire-changed-football-Bradford-City-disaster-transformed-game-forever

Comparing the 2 disasters ain't cutting it.

I haven't......how many times do i have to repeat the reason i posted the vid clip? *-)

Bulletguy - 2018-06-27 5:41 PM

antony1969 - 2018-06-27 5:13 PM

You obviously know nothing about football stadiums of the time ... Youve looked on Wikipedia and found your Bradford info ... Stadiums around the country at the time were of the same age or older and then in a short number of years stadium disasters led to change ...

Bradford changed it with immediate effect.

"The disaster led to new safety standards in UK football grounds, including the banning of new wooden grandstands."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/571119/fire-changed-football-Bradford-City-disaster-transformed-game-forever

Comparing the 2 disasters ain't cutting it.

I haven't......how many times do i have to repeat the reason i posted the vid clip? *-)

I put disasters with an S on the end because disasters changed not only the construction but the standing/seating issue and general safety at stadiums ... Your attempts to wriggle out of your silly comparison don't cut it fella ... After you highlighted the Bradford fire in your Grenfell post you put something like "when will they ever learn" ... Learn what that exactly with regards to the similarities between Grenfell and Valley Parade (look it up)

Bulletguy - 2018-06-27 6:10 PM

antony1969 - 2018-06-27 5:58 PM

I put disasters with an S on the end because.......

Blah blah blah....*-) ...you're just arguing for the sake of it now as per usual. Get back in your playpen and post some kisses to your love flame. *-)

I thought we were discussing not "arguing" but have it your way ... Pointing out the silly attempt at comparing the Bradford fire with Grenfell isnt "arguing" by the way ... Im glad youve moved on from your previous posts though of blaming the Tories for all things Grenfell ... Cheers

antony1969 - 2018-06-27 7:13 PM

Pointing out the silly attempt at comparing the Bradford fire with Grenfell isnt "arguing" by the way ...

Sheesh......how many times have i explained now that i was NOT comparing.....three, four, five?? *-)

It's like knocking on dead wood with you. *-)

Grenfell was under RBKC which is a Tory council and depending on the inquiry it's quite possible a number of certain individuals will be held to account. The CPS have already said that.

Bulletguy - 2018-06-27 7:32 PM

Pointing out the silly attempt at comparing the Bradford fire with Grenfell isnt "arguing" by the way ...

Sheesh......how many times have i explained now that i was NOT comparing.....three, four, five?? *-)

It's like knocking on dead wood with you. *-)

Grenfell was under RBKC which is a Tory council and depending on the inquiry it's quite possible a number of certain individuals will be held to account. The CPS have already said that.

What you say once you've been found out is'nt necessarily what you believe or initially meant ... Even one of your normally main allies Brian has questioned your political finger pointing over Grenfell and your questionable comparing Bradford to Grenfell ... Sometimes saying nothing further is a better option ... I hope you take note

. Im glad youve moved on from your previous posts though of blaming the Tories for all things Grenfell ... Cheers

As I have said before the Royal Borough has been Tory continuously since 1964 - before Grenfell Tower got on to the drawing board.

So I ask again - how can we discuss Grenfell without blaming the Tories?

<<< So I ask again - how can we discuss Grenfell without blaming the Tories? >>>

Hi John52

Do we know the political affiliation of all the LA officials who inspected and "signed off" this building?

How many of the the other, similarly constructed blocks of flats were built by the Tories?

Why are so many of the now homeless residents of Grenfell Tower so keen to remain in a Tory borough?

Tory propoganda ignores all the contributory factors except the cladding so they can spread the blame around. >:-(

PS: and take £50 million+ from poorer boroughs to give to the Royal Tory Borough - Britain's Wealthiest Council - who can well afford to pay for their own mistakes. >:-(

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2018-07-03 7:45 AM

Do we know the political affiliation of all the LA officials who inspected and "signed off" this building?

We know they were hired by the Tories

So you know the political allegiances of those employed to run the planning department? *-) .........

Archived