UK now the HIGHEST death rate in Europe

Bulletguy

Guest rael

Anyway getting back to the main point of the OP. I anticipated what the 'conversation' might be like on the forum when I saw the news ref. number of dead, and I anticipated correctly.

These are fellow human beings we are talking about (you know, the dead people) not statistics. I think some of us should just step back and read whats being written. Honestly, we could be discussing how many dogs/cats/gerbils have died not humans! Political point scoring over this issue is pretty tasteless. The whole Covid-19 thing is a monumental f**k up that has devastated and taken countless (at this stage) lives. It doesn't help that we were not prepared for this, but we are in it now. There have been some monumental cock ups that have cost lives and no doubt the blame game will go on for years, but lets alt least treat the victims and their families with a little more respect?

Oh and for the record, I'm as left as they come, if that's important to some of you?

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rael - 2020-05-05 8:13 PM

Anyway getting back to the main point of the OP. I anticipated what the 'conversation' might be like on the forum when I saw the news ref. number of dead, and I anticipated correctly.

These are fellow human beings we are talking about (you know, the dead people) not statistics. I think some of us should just step back and read whats being written. Honestly, we could be discussing how many dogs/cats/gerbils have died not humans! Political point scoring over this issue is pretty tasteless. The whole Covid-19 thing is a monumental f**k up that has devastated and taken countless (at this stage) lives. It doesn't help that we were not prepared for this, but we are in it now. There have been some monumental cock ups that have cost lives and no doubt the blame game will go on for years, but lets alt least treat the victims and their families with a little more respect?

Oh and for the record, I'm as left as they come, if that's important to some of you?

"the whole Covid-19 thing is a monumental f**k up" ... "lets treat the victims and their families with a little more respect" ... Anyone ???

Birdbrain - 2020-05-05 7:36 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-05-05 6:47 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-05-05 6:21 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-05-05 6:17 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-05-05 5:47 PM

Brian Kirby - 2020-05-05 5:28 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-05-05 5:11 PM

Sad darlings ... 1, 1000, 10.000, 100.000 deaths and not one mention of the numero uno culprits ... The Chinese ... Maybe its racist to say it

No Antony it's pointless, not racist - as we all know where it originated, so it is not necessary to keep harping on about it. We are where we now are, and we have to go forward, not back.

So its OK to blame our Government because "we are where we are" but to blame the country of its origin is pointless

Government inactions, indecisiveness, sloppy handling, and downgrading Covid-19 to weaken PPE guidelines they themselves had originally drawn up but now chose to ignore, is inexcusable so criticism is certainly justified.

You forgot to list the one thing that outweighs all those youve mentioned ... Our Government currently by a large majority is Conservative ... Like others on here thats your gripe ... Hate on ... Hater

How could anyone not criticise all the aforementioned facts........apart from the most rabid fanatical Tory supporter?

I will condemn our Government whatever rosette colour they wear as and when it is has been shown they didn't act as they should ... You condemn simply because they are Tories ... Hate on

Not true at all. IMO there were some pretty good Tory MP's and i've said so before, but Johnson kicked them out. It's been ToryKip for sometime though since the far right infiltrated. However any government in power should be open to scrutiny and expect criticism. Anyone who cannot accept that should either have voted for another party, or not voted at all. You waste all your time criticising opposition MP's and turn a blind eye to the government in power as though they are beyond reproach, jumping to their defence each time.

Your silly overuse of 'hate'/'hater' shows lack of ability to debate any points and an attempt to shut discussion down.....pretty pointless exercise really but it obviously excites you to use it.

Guest rael
Birdbrain - 2020-05-05 9:10 PM

rael - 2020-05-05 7:57 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-05-05 6:47 PM

Sad darlings ... 1, 1000, 10.000, 100.000 deaths and not one mention of the numero uno culprits ... The Chinese ... Maybe its racist to say it

No Antony it's pointless, not racist - as we all know where it originated, so it is not necessary to keep harping on about it. We are where we now are, and we have to go forward, not back.

So its OK to blame our Government because "we are where we are" but to blame the country of its origin is pointless

The problem with trying to lay the blame on whole countries is you always get some thick tosspots deciding the easy solution is to attack someone from that country.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-hate-crimes-against-chinese-people-soar-in-uk-during-covid-19-crisis-11979388

Ye I get ya ... 260 alleged race attacks here in Blighty with no deaths against 30.000 confirmed covid19 deaths from a virus the Chinese crushed info on , including shutting up a Chinese doctor who tried to expose it to the world ... Dummy

Didn't realise it was a numbers game.....Dummy.

Tracker - 2020-05-05 8:02 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-05-05 7:57 PM

Tracker - 2020-05-05 7:05 PM

What I find obscene is the creation of sensationalist headlines and manipulation of such figures purely to try to make a political point.

But then again, why would I expect any better behaviour from politically motivated miscreants?

There is the NHS site but that gives a daily count as opposed to current total.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-daily-deaths/

Telegraph

The UK now has the highest Covid-19 death toll in Europe totalling 32,375, the latest Office for National Statistics (ONS) data shows

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-news-uk-test-track-contact-tracing-cases-update/

This FT article from last month is interesting;

https://www.ft.com/content/67e6a4ee-3d05-43bc-ba03-e239799fa6ab

None of which excuses your attempts to make a political point out of tragedy.

Where?

Bulletguy - 2020-05-05 8:18 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-05-05 7:36 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-05-05 6:47 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-05-05 6:17 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-05-05 5:47 PM

Government inactions, indecisiveness, sloppy handling, and downgrading Covid-19 to weaken PPE guidelines they themselves had originally drawn up but now chose to ignore, is inexcusable so criticism is certainly justified.

You forgot to list the one thing that outweighs all those youve mentioned ... Our Government currently by a large majority is Conservative ... Like others on here thats your gripe ... Hate on ... Hater

How could anyone not criticise all the aforementioned facts........apart from the most rabid fanatical Tory supporter?

I will condemn our Government whatever rosette colour they wear as and when it is has been shown they didn't act as they should ... You condemn simply because they are Tories ... Hate on

Not true at all. IMO there were some pretty good Tory MP's and i've said so before, but Johnson kicked them out. It's been ToryKip for sometime though since the far right infiltrated. However any government in power should be open to scrutiny and expect criticism. Anyone who cannot accept that should either have voted for another party, or not voted at all. You waste all your time criticising opposition MP's and turn a blind eye to the government in power as though they are beyond reproach, jumping to their defence each time.

Your silly overuse of 'hate'/'hater' shows lack of ability to debate any points and an attempt to shut discussion down.....pretty pointless exercise really but it obviously excites you to use it.

I dont think you read my previous post ... Your hate blinkers blinded you ... Read it ... Im sure we will have an inquiry into our Governments actions over China Virus , if it shows our Government behaved irresponsibly I will condemn them , who wouldnt ??? ... You are a hater though

The whole Covid-19 thing is a monumental f**k up that has devastated and taken countless (at this stage) lives. It doesn't help that we were not prepared for this, but we are in it now. There have been some monumental cock ups that have cost lives and no doubt the blame game will go on for years....

I agree with your sentiments Rael but how can mentioning which government minister said what etc etc be avoided when they are the ones calling the shots over the stats etc, not to mention supplies which you know first hand about? It's a bit difficult really.

Guest rael
Birdbrain - 2020-05-05 9:18 PM

"the whole Covid-19 thing is a monumental f**k up" ... "lets treat the victims and their families with a little more respect" ... Anyone ???

Absolutely nothing wrong with that mate. You may not like the phrasing but thats the way I speak, so tough. I'm talking about treating people as fellow humans and not statistics. But you know that, but you like a little dig.

rael - 2020-05-05 8:19 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-05-05 9:10 PM

rael - 2020-05-05 7:57 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-05-05 6:47 PM

The problem with trying to lay the blame on whole countries is you always get some thick tosspots deciding the easy solution is to attack someone from that country.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-hate-crimes-against-chinese-people-soar-in-uk-during-covid-19-crisis-11979388

Ye I get ya ... 260 alleged race attacks here in Blighty with no deaths against 30.000 confirmed covid19 deaths from a virus the Chinese crushed info on , including shutting up a Chinese doctor who tried to expose it to the world ... Dummy

Didn't realise it was a numbers game.....Dummy.

If its not a "numbers game" what do you base your "monumental f**k up" on ... Dummy

rael - 2020-05-05 8:28 PM

Absolutely nothing wrong with that mate. You may not like the phrasing but thats the way I speak, so tough. I'm talking about treating people as fellow humans and not statistics. But you know that, but you like a little dig.

Im not your "mate" and I aint on about how you "speak" ... You contradict yaself ... Dummy

Birdbrain - 2020-05-05 8:26 PM

I dont think you read my previous post ... Your hate blinkers blinded you ... Read it ... Im sure we will have an inquiry into our Governments actions over China Virus , if it shows our Government behaved irresponsibly I will condemn them , who wouldnt ??? ... You are a hater though

No such thing as "China virus". I know your mate Trump thought it 'trendy' at one time but he ceased using that term long ago after being told of it's consequences for Chinese American citizens. You're out of step.........it's Coronavirus or Covid-19 for short.

Bulletguy - 2020-05-05 8:33 PM

No such thing as "China virus". I know your mate Trump thought it 'trendy' at one time but he ceased using that term long ago after being told of it's consequences for Chinese American citizens. You're out of step.........it's Coronavirus or Covid-19 for short.

Lets not take lessons from one who believes it OK to use "pansy boy" then deny ever saying it

Birdbrain - 2020-05-05 8:34 PM

Lets not take lessons from one who believes it OK to use "pansy boy" then deny ever saying it

Disrupting threads with irrelevant trite is a clear indication of an inability to discuss/debate as an adult.

You use it more than anyone...mate.

Guest rael
Birdbrain - 2020-05-05 9:30 PM

Im not your "mate" and I aint on about how you "speak" ... You contradict yaself ... Dummy

blimey, you are a bitter one.

Birdbrain - 2020-05-05 7:34 PM

John52 - 2020-05-05 6:59 PM

. Our Government currently by a large majority is Conservative ... Like others on here thats your gripe ... Hate on ... Hater

So the best you can do is to say we can't point out their failings because they are Conservatives :-(

Err ... Please show where I said that

I already have in the quote above

Tracker - 2020-05-05 7:05 PM

What I find obscene is the creation of sensationalist headlines and manipulation of such figures purely to try to make a political point.

But then again, why would I expect any better behaviour from politically motivated miscreants?

Same here

When the figures are not manipulated BoJo's Government comes out even worse :-S

Prof David Spiegelhalter, chair of the Winton Centre for Risk and Evidence Communication at Cambridge University and a member of the government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), have warned of the risks of comparing countries’ death tolls, he said on Tuesday: “We are not doing very well and it’s been another very bad week. I really don’t like this league table of who’s top and who’s not, but there’s no denying that these are really serious numbers.”

Dr Claudia Paoloni, president of the Hospital Consultants and Specialists Association trade union, said Britain having the highest number of deaths in Europe showed that ministers had “searching questions” to answer about their “inadequate” handling of the crisis, and called for a public inquiry.

“This is a very sobering and unwelcome milestone. It’s of extreme concern that the UK now has the largest number of Covid deaths in Europe,” she said. “There will have to be a full investigation of the [government’s] handling of the Covid response in due course – a public inquiry – to understand why we are experiencing such large numbers in comparison to the rest of Europe.

“It puts into question whether the government’s tactics at the start of the pandemic were sufficiently fast, and especially whether the lockdown should have happened earlier and whether we should have been better prepared with increased capacity for viral testing and contact tracing from the start. Both have proven inadequate.”

Dr Chaand Nagpaul, British Medical Association council chair, said the figures were extremely concerning “given that the UK was originally affected by the outbreak later than many other nations, and with the government initially saying that a death toll of 20,000 would be a ‘good outcome’.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/05/uk-coronavirus-death-toll-rises-above-32000-to-highest-in-europe

Chris Giles, Economics editor for FT explains their methodology;

FT also running a worldwide tracker;

https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest

It might seem like its political point scoring and maybe there is an element of that on here because of the old rivalry but is it not important that we question the governments actions in real time rather than waiting for a postmortem when its all too late where of course they will try and brush it all under the carpet?

This is why many including myself have been banging on for ages for the science and data the government are using to be accessible across all parties. Not enough honesty and transparency and way too much lying and arse covering. I think a few mistakes and bad decisions can be tolerated as long as they are open about them but they cant help themselves. Lying, covering up and arse covering is the priority and it has to stop.

Barryd999 - 2020-05-05 11:06 PM

It might seem like its political point scoring and maybe there is an element of that on here because of the old rivalry but is it not important that we question the governments actions in real time rather than waiting for a postmortem when its all too late where of course they will try and brush it all under the carpet?

This is why many including myself have been banging on for ages for the science and data the government are using to be accessible across all parties. Not enough honesty and transparency and way too much lying and arse covering. I think a few mistakes and bad decisions can be tolerated as long as they are open about them but they cant help themselves. Lying, covering up and arse covering is the priority and it has to stop.

The Government can't really deny their lying - their argument seems to be its necessary for the public to retain confidence in them and obey their lockdown instructions - even when they contradict each other, and the PM and Duke of Cornwall are ignoring them *-)

rael - 2020-05-05 9:12 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-05-05 9:30 PM

blimey, you are a bitter one.

If showing your comments for what they are makes me bitter then so be it princess

Bulletguy - 2020-05-05 8:46 PM

Disrupting threads with irrelevant trite is a clear indication of an inability to discuss/debate as an adult.

Yes so stop doing it please

Bulletguy - 2020-05-05 9:56 PM

Dr Claudia Paoloni, president of the Hospital Consultants and Specialists Association trade union, said Britain having the highest number of deaths in Europe showed that ministers had “searching questions” to answer about their “inadequate” handling of the crisis, and called for a public inquiry.

What we need is a proper enquiry into 'public enquiries' to see why they invariably turn out to be a hideously expensive whitewash, delayed until they have been upstaged by a bigger crisis and all the guilty parties retired on gold-plated pensions >:-)

John52 - 2020-05-05 9:19 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-05-05 7:34 PM

John52 - 2020-05-05 6:59 PM

. Our Government currently by a large majority is Conservative ... Like others on here thats your gripe ... Hate on ... Hater

So the best you can do is to say we can't point out their failings because they are Conservatives :-(

Err ... Please show where I said that

I already have in the quote above

Another day ... Another claim you cant back up ... Hating and lying aint pretty , look what its done to BG ... Slop out

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-05-05 2:19 PM

Pelmet won't like this and still be trying to make 7000+ a "higher" figure than 30,000+ of deaths.

UK now has highest coronavirus death rate in Europe

Figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) confirmed more than 32,000 people in the UK have died with suspected Covid-19, which is more than Italy, previously Europe’s worst hit country. There were 29,648 Covid-19 deaths in England and Wales, as of April 24. Including deaths for Scotland and Northern Ireland, the toll now stands at 32,313.

https://tinyurl.com/yb2ud9yu

Your right I don't like it :-| ...........Unlike you *-) .......

Archived