UK now the HIGHEST death rate in Europe

Bulletguy

Barryd999 - 2020-05-11 11:34 AM

They wont give a toss about people in care homes though if we are brutally honest. Bit of a gift for them.

Surely that can't be true.

Last Friday, during the VE celebrations, Boris appeared on TV to say how much he respected and thanked the wartime generation.

( But maybe he forgot that many of them may now be in Care Homes ).

:-(

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pelmetman - 2020-05-11 11:59 AM

pelmetman - 2020-05-11 10:46 AM

malc d - 2020-05-11 10:23 AM

pelmetman - 2020-05-11 8:32 AM

"current Tory policy of delaying action to control the current virus in care homes."

Evidence? :-| ..........

The initial policy of the govt. was to protect the NHS from being overwhelmed, and everything was done for that result.

It wasn't until April 15th that the govt. announced plans to give tests to Care Home staff and patients.

It was all over the press, I saw it in the Telegraph, but I'm sure it was in other papers.

At his first appearance at the dispatch box when Boris Johnson returned to Parliament he said that he " bitterly regretted what had happened in Care Homes "

Whoever reads your newspapers to you must have missed it.

:-|

p.s. Perhaps I should have said the delay to action in Care Homes was the Govts. " Initial" policy, not their "Current" policy, although the result is the same.

So would you have preferred Boris to have concentrated on protecting the care homes first or the NHS? :-| .......

Coz with the best will in the world the government didn't have the resources do everything at the same time ;-) .........

Especially as the Loser brigade had hidden all the magic wands *-) ........

I think we would (as would all the now dead people) preferred that Johnson and his government had not sat on their arses for nearly seven weeks ignoring the warnings from other countries. I think we would have preferred they had not lied about stocks of PPE last year and let our stockpile become depleted. There is a long list of things we would have preferred them to do which they did not.

In light of that it was more important to protect the NHS but horse, stable door bolted. They wont give a toss about people in care homes though if we are brutally honest. Bit of a gift for them.

Did the NHS get over run?.........NO

It's already been explained to you how that was achieved along with links, but you never read them.

Has Europe not had the same PPE problems as us?........YES

They've not been passing off old stock as 'new' with the date stamps covered over have they? Neither to my knowledge have they ignored local suppliers and manufacturers as UK govt has.

The only advantage the EU has had over the UK is ;-) .........

They look after their member states.

"current Tory policy of delaying action to control the current virus in care homes."

The initial policy of the govt. was to protect the NHS from being overwhelmed, and everything was done for that result.

It wasn't until April 15th that the govt. announced plans to give tests to Care Home staff and patients.

It was all over the press, I saw it in the Telegraph, but I'm sure it was in other papers.

At his first appearance at the dispatch box when Boris Johnson returned to Parliament he said that he " bitterly regretted what had happened in Care Homes "

p.s. Perhaps I should have said the delay to action in Care Homes was the Govts. " Initial" policy, not their "Current" policy, although the result is the same.

So would you have preferred Boris to have concentrated on protecting the care homes first or the NHS? :-| .......

I would have expected the Govt. to concentrate on protecting the most vulnerable people first whether they were in a Care Home or a Hospital.

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2020-05-11 3:30 PM

I would have expected the Govt. to concentrate on protecting the most vulnerable people first whether they were in a Care Home or a Hospital.

So why did the EU countries not manage that either? :-| ............

Obviously their magic wands are in as short supply as their PPE *-) ........

thebishbus - 2020-05-10 6:30 PM

After watching an interview with residential home careers on TV the other night, it seems that some of the infection in residential homes is due to the staff themselves. Some declined tests because they did not want to be found positive, have to go into isolation and therefore loose their wages.Others suspected or new they had the virus but still went into work for the same reason,therefore taking in and spreading the virus. When you think about it,if residential staff had gone about it the right way, the virus could possibly have been kept out of residential homes.

Brian B.

Possibly, but when you do think about it, don't forget those elderly hospital patients who were discharged to care homes untested for the virus. Nor the other carehome staff who couldn't get tested, including those who travel from care home to care home, or those who turned up to work believing themselves free of virus but, unknown to them, were not, or those who were tested clear, but became infected later (the incubation period is, after all 7 - 10 days), or those who had the virus but were asymptomatic, so had no idea they were infective.

It might also be instructive to recall that the tests were not for weeks available on demand (and realistically still aren't, according to the reports from a number of care home owners/operators who have tried to obtain them), and for a number of weeks were only available to those who had symptoms - by which time the carer would have been likely to have been shedding virus for several days unknown to them - so I think the chances that the virus could have been kept out of care homes but for the few miscreant is tenuous at the very least.

To keep the virus out, the care homes would have needed to have been placed on the same footing as hospitals at the outset, and provided regular staff tests plus appropriate PPE (at whosever cost), and they were not.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-05-11 4:19 PM

To keep the virus out, the care homes would have needed to have been placed on the same footing as hospitals at the outset, and provided regular staff tests plus appropriate PPE (at whosever cost), and they were not.

Which EU countries achieved that feat? :-| ..........

pelmetman - 2020-05-11 4:15 PM

Obviously magic wands are in as short supply as PPE *-) ........

We're not in the EU Dave ( I thought you knew ) - so I have no idea what their policies were - and they are irrelevant to the actions of the U.K. government. You may not have noticed but we now govern ourselves and don't have to consult the EU. any more about how we handle anything.

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2020-05-11 4:21 PM

pelmetman - 2020-05-11 4:15 PM

Obviously magic wands are in as short supply as PPE *-) ........

We're not in the EU Dave ( I thought you knew ) - so I have no idea what their policies were - and they are irrelevant to the actions of the U.K. government. You may not have noticed but we now govern ourselves and don't have to consult the EU. any more about how we handle anything.

Correct ;-) .........But like the EU we do not have any Magic wands :-| ........

Yet you appear to think Boris should have invented one *-) ...........

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...... So why did the EU countries not manage that either?

Obviously their magic wands are in as short supply as their PPE ........

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We don't have magic wands but I can guarantee you that since a long time we can buy PPE in the pharmacy (at a price agreed by the government, a face mask at € 0.5 max) and even in supermarkets.

The less wealthy can have them for free.

It is enough for you ?

Stop reading fake news.

Guest pelmetman
mtravel - 2020-05-11 4:28 PM

...... So why did the EU countries not manage that either?

Obviously their magic wands are in as short supply as their PPE ........

We don't have magic wands but I can guarantee you that since a long time we can buy PPE in the pharmacy (at a price agreed by the government, a face mask at € 0.5 max) and even in supermarkets.

The less wealthy can have them for free.

It is enough for you ?

Stop reading fake news.

The point is the majority of countries in the EU had problems sourcing PPE........Not just the UK ;-) ......

BTW we can buy PPE too :D .......

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-05-11 3:24 PM

Coz with the best will in the world the government didn't have the resources do everything at the same time ;-) .........

I think we would (as would all the now dead people) preferred that Johnson and his government had not sat on their arses for nearly seven weeks ignoring the warnings from other countries. I think we would have preferred they had not lied about stocks of PPE last year and let our stockpile become depleted. There is a long list of things we would have preferred them to do which they did not.

In light of that it was more important to protect the NHS but horse, stable door bolted. They wont give a toss about people in care homes though if we are brutally honest. Bit of a gift for them.

It's already been explained to you how that was achieved along with links, but you never read them.

They've not been passing off old stock as 'new' with the date stamps covered over have they? Neither to my knowledge have they ignored local suppliers and manufacturers as UK govt has.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-09/germany-faces-backlash-from-neighbors-over-mask-export-ban

(lol) (lol) (lol) .........

pelmetman - 2020-05-11 6:54 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-05-11 3:24 PM

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-09/germany-faces-backlash-from-neighbors-over-mask-export-ban

(lol) (lol) (lol) .........

Lordy My

thebishbus - 2020-05-11 5:43 PM

Bullitguy .That is the wrong Newsnight,I did say Wednesday, which was the 6th of May.

Brian B

Sorry yes i realised later and watched thanks. This is the link for anyone interested at 26m 34sec in; https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000hy9h/newsnight-06052020

As Brian mentioned in an earlier post, care homes should have been placed on the same level as hospitals from the start with regular testing plus PPE when they were not. Regards pay, the report explained not only are many agency workers on zero hour contracts, the pay level is low with no statutory sick pay.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-05-11 7:09 PM

Bullitguy .That is the wrong Newsnight,I did say Wednesday, which was the 6th of May.

Brian B

Sorry yes i realised later and watched thanks. This is the link for anyone interested at 26m 34sec in; https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000hy9h/newsnight-06052020

As Brian mentioned in an earlier post, care homes should have been placed on the same level as hospitals from the start with regular testing plus PPE when they were not. Regards pay, the report explained not only are many agency workers on zero hour contracts, the pay level is low with no statutory sick pay.

Meanwhile in the EU 8-) .........

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8144085/Soldiers-tasked-disinfecting-care-homes-Spain-ABANDONED-corpses.html

pelmetman - 2020-05-11 4:21 PM

Ah, but then, you'd need to have read Brian's post on how care homes might have been kept clear of virus and my reply, to see why your comment above is completely irrelevant. Join the conversation by all means, but not until you know what it is about, please.

pelmetman - 2020-05-10 12:14 PM

malc d - 2020-05-10 10:40 AM

Brian Kirby - 2020-05-09 7:02 PM

pelmetman - 2020-05-09 6:21 PM...………...

Did you not use unreliable statistics to start this Boris bashing thread? >:-) ..............

No, I did not, I initially pointed out that the number of dead did not correspond to a death rate.

You have to remember Brian that Dave will support Boris, whatever he does, or doesn't do, simply because Boris is a Tory.

:-D

......and Remoaners will Bash Boris whatever he does ;-) .........Simply because he won Brexit >:-) .......

Dave, you've simply put your head on back to front - again.

Despite your (and possibly his :-)) conviction that it does, the world does not revolve around Boris. He has numerous, well documented faults - a certain carelessness with facts, and impatience with essential detail - being among them.

Notwithstanding those faults, if Boris and his cabinet (which he chose) were doing well, why do you imagine we'd not all be saying, with considerable relief, "well, there's a thing, who'd have thought it, sound rational competent government from Boris. Cometh the time, cometh the man" or similar?

You have this overwhelming problem with Brexit, for which you give all credit to Boris, and equate the two to the extent that any criticism of Boris, on whatever topic, becomes a criticism of Brexit, meaning that you, like an over-anxious Nanny, have immediately to rush to his defence.

So, may I, ever so gently, reassure you that whatever comments we offer on here the virus, Boris, and Brexit, will all pursue their own, pre-ordained, paths to Valhalla, and point out to you that whatever you may think, Boris, the Coronavirus, and Brexit, are actually three different things. It would so help us all, including you, if you could just try to accept that, and separate them into three separate piles in your head, appropriately labelled, each to be treated separately.

This particular pile is the "Coronavirus pandemic and its impact on the UK" pile, which inevitably touches on the "Boris as our Prime Minister and his management of it" pile. It is not the Brexit pile, where your comment above properly belongs. Thank you for your consideration. :-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-05-12 11:01 AM

Ah, but then, you'd need to have read Brian's post on how care homes might have been kept clear of virus and my reply, to see why your comment above is completely irrelevant. Join the conversation by all means, but not until you know what it is about, please.

Ah but shouldn't you be even handed in your criticism? ;-) ..........

Oh silly me :D ...........

That would mean criticising the EU >:-) ........

pelmetman - 2020-05-12 9:27 AM

Bulletguy - 2020-05-11 7:09 PM

Brian B

Meanwhile in the EU 8-) .........

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8144085/Soldiers-tasked-disinfecting-care-homes-Spain-ABANDONED-corpses.html

Yes, it's absolutely shocking that the country in which you choose to over-winter should tolerate such behaviour. A flagrant disgrace against the norms of public decency. I assume you won't be returning?

However, while you are considering your position on that, you should bear in mind that the EU is not Spain, and vice versa, and that the EU has no jurisdiction over the Spanish healthcare system.

Your comment above should therefore have read: "Meanwhile in Spain 8-)"

It is so unjust to tar the other 26 member states, especially those who have set the gold standard for epidemic management, with Spain's failings. Disgraceful! You're not a "hater", are you?

But what is really confusing me is how your comments above can possibly bear on the rate of Covid-19 infection in UK care homes, and how the UK government has managed that. Have you discovered that our care homes, unbeknown to the rest of us, are now being run by the Spanish government, or similar?

pelmetman - 2020-05-12 11:45 AM

Why? Whose healthcare system does the EU run? Not ours, for certain, so why would I comment on someone else's healthcare system when it is ours that is relevant to where I live and where my taxes go? Strange.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-05-12 12:05 PM

Why? Whose healthcare system does the EU run? Not ours, for certain, so why would I comment on someone else's healthcare system when it is ours that is relevant to where I live and where my taxes go? Strange.

Have you not read the title to this thread? 8-) ......

Its all about Bashing Boris *-) .......

So why are YOU ignoring the EU's F*ck Up's >:-( ......

Just askin >:-) ......

pelmetman - 2020-05-12 5:21 PM

As you do. But as you don't say what you think the EU has mismanaged on the Covid front, leading to the UK having so high a number of deaths, no reply is possible.

How you see it is up to you, but "bashing Boris" is not how I see it. It doesn't matter who is PM, if the outcomes were the same, are you also imagining we'd all just sit back and stay schtum? Why? Nanny to the rescue? :-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-05-12 7:18 PM

pelmetman - 2020-05-12 5:21 PM

As you do. But as you don't say what you think the EU has mismanaged on the Covid front, leading to the UK having so high a number of deaths, no reply is possible.

How you see it is up to you, but "bashing Boris" is not how I see it. It doesn't matter who is PM, if the outcomes were the same, are you also imagining we'd all just sit back and stay schtum? Why? Nanny to the rescue? :-D

News Flash......Rampant Remoner denies Bashing Boris coz he's PM 8-) ......

(lol) (lol) (lol) .......

pelmetman - 2020-05-12 7:22 PM.....................…

News Flash......Rampant Remoner denies Bashing Boris coz he's PM 8-) .........

Wrong again! I reject your charge that I criticise the PM because he is Boris: I criticise the PM because of his performance in as PM. There's a world of difference between the two.

Only in your mind are Brexit, Boris, and the pandemic, the same thing. For the rest of us (except possibly Tweedledee!), they are three very, very, different things.

Try taking a walk over some high land. Looking down on the world (and the fresh air) may help you get your thoughts in better order! :-D

Archived