Vaccines,anyone..?

pepe63xnotuse

Barryd999 - 2021-01-23 5:11 PM

Its just possible that it might not be a bad idea but its simply reckless and I suspect the primary goal for Johnson and co is to boost their own ratings not to save lives.

I can see the logic of what they are doing, I just ( surprisingly ) don't believe their reason for doing it.

I think they are desperate to stop hospitals being overwhelmed by numbers . Their aim seems to me to be to reduce the severity of the symptoms that people get with the virus, and so keep them out of hospital.

At least it will give some hope to people with other serious health issues who won't have to wait so long for life saving treatment.

:-|

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
StuartO - 2021-01-23 5:20 PM

jumpstart - 2021-01-23 4:37 PM

The Independent: Covid: Delaying second dose of vaccine increases risk of new resistant strain, Sage papers reveal.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-vaccine-uk-new-strain-sage-b1791438.html

Worrying...

I've just read this article. It's a journalistically sensationalised account of what the scienists have actually said. There is a theoretical possibility that a person who has had only one dose who gets infected after the three week point when he would normally have had the second dose will resist the virus less efficiently opportunity to reporduce and therefore possibly mutate in doing so is restricted to the times when it is living in a human cell (i.e. infecting someone) the theoretical extra infection time might create a higher (but still small) chance of mutating. Since most mutations are unfavourable the small additional chance of a mutation having adverse effect on the outbreak is very small.

But without sensationalising this possibility there would be no story to print. It doesn't sound like anything to get worried about to me, especially if delaying the second dose is saving more lives by getting more people their first dose.

All of it is just theory.

colin - 2021-01-23 3:48 PM

Brian Kirby - 2021-01-23 3:24 PM

However, it seems reasonably clear that the vaccination has little useful effect for the first two weeks following the first injection, with its protective benefit only arriving after the third week. It seems he must have picked up the virus relatively soon after the first injection, before he had developed sufficient anti-body to fight it off. It appears just a very sad and unfortunate chance conjunction of events.

Unfortunately .gov haven't seen fit to fully advise those getting the jab of it's limitations, surely just a small leaflet would suffice. How many times have we seen on TV patients saying along lines of "now I can go and hug my grandchildren", t'other week on radio phone in someone said this, the hosts didn't even bother to tell her not too.

Colin I had my first jab this morning and along with my card showing which anti-virus I had been given I received a leaflet by public health England giving a great deal of information and on the 2nd page it tells that "there is no cure for COVID-19" so the leaflet is available. It also informs that the vaccinations help to reduce the risk of complications.

My ma had her first jab just before Christmas her second was scheduled for January 18th

They cancelled that and she is waiting for notification of her second jab.

Stanley Johnson had his first jab I believe around the same time and low and behold had his second jab at the recommended time why was that ? I’m stuffed if I know

soarer - 2021-01-23 6:21 PM

My ma had her first jab just before Christmas her second was scheduled for January 18th

They cancelled that and she is waiting for notification of her second jab.

Stanley Johnson had his first jab I believe around the same time and low and behold had his second jab at the recommended time why was that ? I’m stuffed if I know

I can empathise with your feelings.....and what you obviously must think.

Public outrage is growing in Spain as cases of politicians and well-connected opportunists jumping the queue in the national coronavirus vaccination campaign come to light, even as delivery delays have forced some regions to stop new inoculations. I expect the same here will be happening.

https://tinyurl.com/y2xwj8fo

https://tinyurl.com/y4dttuj8

I know the thing is my ma just takes it on the chin

And accepts that nobody really knows how it’s going to work out

She’s old school and as tough as they come it just galls me when

You read the stories like Stanley Johnson the Uks

Prime ministers father jumps the waiting plebs whilst at the same time

Becoming a French national because brexit fooks his life up you couldn’t make it up

teflon2 - 2021-01-23 6:16 PM

Colin I had my first jab this morning and along with my card showing which anti-virus I had been given I received a leaflet by public health England giving a great deal of information and on the 2nd page it tells that "there is no cure for COVID-19" so the leaflet is available. It also informs that the vaccinations help to reduce the risk of complications.

Well it's good to hear that some places are doing this, the early patients weren't getting any advice here, but our local health centre was one of the first in country to give jabs.

Guest pelmetman

However, it seems reasonably clear that the vaccination has little useful effect for the first two weeks following the first injection, with its protective benefit only arriving after the third week. It seems he must have picked up the virus relatively soon after the first injection, before he had developed sufficient anti-body to fight it off. It appears just a very sad and unfortunate chance conjunction of events.

Unfortunately .gov haven't seen fit to fully advise those getting the jab of it's limitations, surely just a small leaflet would suffice. How many times have we seen on TV patients saying along lines of "now I can go and hug my grandchildren", t'other week on radio phone in someone said this, the hosts didn't even bother to tell her not too.

Thanks for the update ;-) .......

This could have been a useful thread if it hadn't been hyjacked by the usual LOSERS doing their usual Boris Bashing *-) ........

Get a Life LOSERS >:-) ........

Guest pelmetman
soarer - 2021-01-23 7:00 PM

Plick

I'd rather be a Plick than a Soarer'a'se LOSER :D ........

Edit for typo ;-) .......

pelmetman - 2021-01-23 6:53 PM

This could have been a useful thread if it hadn't been hyjacked by the usual LOSERS doing their usual Boris Bashing *-) ........

Its not a useful thread because its mainly guesswork.

Finally got the wifi working in the luxury greenhouse then.

Well I had my zoom interview yesterday to become a volunteer vaccinator, I've now got to compete some online training courses that take approximately eight hours and a one day "hands on" course which will be putting on and removing PPE and I'll probably be injecting a lot of oranges, again.

Part of the online course which I started this evening is about the three vaccines we might be using, so that we can answer peoples questions about them, I note with interest that the only mention of the second injection is that they will be contacted as to when to come in for it. Although I'd guess when these learning programmes were put together it wasn't the issue it is today. In theory it will be two weeks before I'm let loose on the general public, here's hoping it's all resolved by then!

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2021-01-23 9:15 PM

Finally got the wifi working in the luxury greenhouse then.

Not until Thursday :D .........

CurtainRaiser - 2021-01-23 9:29 PM

Well I had my zoom interview yesterday to become a volunteer vaccinator, I've now got to compete some online training courses that take approximately eight hours and a one day "hands on" course which will be putting on and removing PPE and I'll probably be injecting a lot of oranges, again.

Part of the online course which I started this evening is about the three vaccines we might be using, so that we can answer peoples questions about them, I note with interest that the only mention of the second injection is that they will be contacted as to when to come in for it. Although I'd guess when these learning programmes were put together it wasn't the issue it is today. In theory it will be two weeks before I'm let loose on the general public, here's hoping it's all resolved by then!

Well done you. Nice one.

Barryd999 - 2021-01-23 9:38 PM

Well done you. Nice one.

Purely selfish! If we're going to get travelling again then need to get everyone jabbed as soon as possible.

CurtainRaiser - 2021-01-23 10:08 PM

Well done you. Nice one.

Purely selfish! If we're going to get travelling again then need to get everyone jabbed as soon as possible.

Nah. Hats off. You are putting yourself at risk to help others in a crisis and for free. Thats commendable.

I have heard you have to jump through hoops to be able to do it, hope its not too complicated.

Barryd999 - 2021-01-23 11:18 PM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-01-23 10:08 PM

Well done you. Nice one.

Nah. Hats off. You are putting yourself at risk to help others in a crisis and for free. Thats commendable.

I have heard you have to jump through hoops to be able to do it, hope its not too complicated.

The madness is I, as just a advanced wilderness first aider, have to do less training courses than a friend in a neighbouring village who retired as a GP just three years ago. But that's bureaucracy for you.

Birdbrain - 2021-01-24 8:08 AM

UK = Nearly 10% of population vaccinated ... EU = 1.8% of population vaccinated ... Boris bad guy ... EU good guy ... Chuckle

Except we have not vaccinated anywhere near 10%. Having a first jab is not being vaccinated. Its having a first jab. You are not vaccinated until you have had the full course and Johnson took a massive gamble by going against the recommendations of the vaccine manufacturers and most of the scientific advice changing the second jab time from three weeks to three months.

Barryd999 - 2021-01-24 9:23 AM

UK = Nearly 10% of population vaccinated ... EU = 1.8% of population vaccinated ... Boris bad guy ... EU good guy ... Chuckle

Except we have not vaccinated anywhere near 10%.

... and the EU isn't a country.

:-|

Barryd999 - 2021-01-24 9:23 AM

Except we have not vaccinated anywhere near 10%. Having a first jab is not being vaccinated. Its having a first jab. You are not vaccinated until you have had the full course and Johnson took a massive gamble by going against the recommendations of the vaccine manufacturers and most of the scientific advice changing the second jab time from three weeks to three months.

Chuckle ... We might not want to do EU countries by individual percentages ... We might find certain EU countries aint anywhere near 1.8% vaccinated ... Its OK for me to disagree isnt it??? ... Not guna go through the whole hate campaign again???

Archived