Vaccines,anyone..?

pepe63xnotuse

pelmetman - 2021-01-25 4:28 PM

Bulletguy - 2021-01-25 1:30 PM

pelmetman - 2021-01-25 9:23 AM

Birdbrain - 2021-01-24 8:12 PM

Chuckle ...

... Merci Macron xxx

Where Great Britain leads.......the EU trails behind >:-) ...........

Off the same string....but you ignore in preference to still soaking up the lies peddled by Johnsons government.

Seems to me ;-) ......

Giving you LOSERS the vaccine is a waste of vaccine :-| .........

As it will only prolong your miserable Ex EU lives :D ........

Just being cruel to be kind (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

Your flounce didn't last long just like your batty Brexit. The ink not even dry on the paper before UK government Dept International Trade advising UK businesses to relocate to EU to avoid mounds of extra paperwork and taxes caused by Brexit.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jumpstart - 2021-01-25 4:16 PM

So ,after all teachers apparently not more likely than average to catch the virus but nurses are.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55795608

Well yes but they appear to have worked it out as "deaths per 100,000" and for the dates they looked at (March - end Dec ) schools- with the first lockdown and with school holidays etc- would have been closed for chunks of that period anyway?

(whereas some of the other jobs/professions they mention would not have closed down)

So really to be accurate they'd also need to factor in "total hours in at work" for the period being looked at, wouldn't they..?

"They" did similar a while back .."they" (the media) took figures from when the pubs,resturants and gyms etc were closed, and then portrayed them to show that supermarkets were the worst(best?) places to catch it..:-S

We have been taking part in an ONS study since Aug/Sept. They come around and give us a swab test (once a week for first five weeks, then once a month for a year) and ask us a series of questions (where you have been,number and age of contacts etc) and the depth and thoroughness of these questions have varied widely between each visit. This is seemingly dependant on who is asking them, and the weather -because they remain outside the patio door- and *seemingly even possibly how long a drive home they have ahead of them?..

(*A couple of the ONS staff we've had around have lived local-ish, however some of the others have had 1 1/2hr drives home after leaving us at 6.30pm!).

So outcomes from stats are only ever going do be as good as what has been fed in? :-S

Barryd999 - 2021-01-25 2:20 PM

That ITV links incorrect Brian, goes to quiz shows. This is the one you want. https://www.itv.com/hub/outbreak-the-virus-that-shook-the-world/10a0476a0001

I listened to the relevant bit of the Radio 4 broadcast. Not watched the other two but I still dont see how they have any evidence that a 12 week wait will be either good or bad. Plus it seems something scientists are at loggerheads about.

What is of more concern though is the number of mutations this virus suddenly seems to have taken on, especially the South African version which some there are saying it may have found a way round antibodies. So the Elephant in the room is what happens when or if a variant comes along that the vaccinations have no effect on? They will presumably then have to produce a new vaccine for that (if they can) and If it takes a year to vaccinate everyone wont this just end up being the permanent way things are? Restrictions and lockdowns. Its a grim prospect if it is.

Thanks Barry, I didn't find their website very user friendly! BTW, the other two BBC links are to R4 programs, so nothing to watch!

There is no evidence (nor can there be) based on this vaccine, but there is from other anti-viral vaccines, with one or two immunologists saying that the immunity generally goes on growing over time, and does not generally decay within timescales as short as 12 weeks. I take these to be serious people with reputations to protect, so I don't think they'd speak carelessly.

On mutations, it seems that viruses don't breed true, so in pretty well all cases what you pass on once infected, is never quite the same as what you were passed when you became infected. That seems to be the reasoning underlying the decision to get at least one dose into as many people as possible, as quickly as possible. It isn't that the wait is good, just that it offers the possibility of gaining greater protection for the greatest number in the least time.

The manufacturers have been saying they think cooking up a vaccine tweak to counter a mutation (which after all will still be essentially the same virus) that the present vaccine can't deal with would only take a few weeks, with a few more to substitute that into the manufacturing runs. In any event the virus is expected to remain in circulation pretty well indefinitely, and unless it mutates into a harmless form, we are all now going to need annual vaccinations just as for flu. Bummer, innit! :-)

malc d - 2021-01-25 12:55 PM...............................

1 I call it an experiment because the decision to delay the second jab is not based on known facts or science - it is based on guesswork and probability. ( In other words " We will try this, because we think it's o.k. and see what happens ")

2 When questioned the govt. spokesmen say : " we think " - " it seems likely " - compared to other vaccines " etc.

3 Maybe instead of ' an experiment on the elderly ' I should have said ' an experiment on the first groups ' - although, you appear to agree that the first groups ARE, mainly, the elderly. :-|

Edited to add : Maybe extending from three weeks to six weeks would have been less risky - three to twelve seems to me to be a very big gamble.

1 That seems to me a little harsh Malc. The decisions are being taken on the basis of scientific advice gained from past experience of the behaviour of other anti-viral vaccines. I don't think it is really a case of "lets see what happens", but rather of past experience supporting this approach, and of present circumstances allow us little alternative choice. Rock and a hard place, if you will.

2 Yes, because there is no certainty. If we'd waited for certainty none of the vaccines would be in use, with catastrophic consequences for everyone. After all, what is the alternative?

3 All the present Covid vaccines are, to an extent, experimental (though becoming less so as more people are vaccinated), because they've never before been used on whole populations, but only on selected samples of (very brave), healthy, mostly young, volunteers. The first groups are elderly, but on the basis that they (plus some others with pre-existing conditions) are the most vulnerable to serious illness, hospitalisation, and death, rather than simply because of their age.

I don't think there is that much to worry about - except catching the virus!

Brian Kirby - 2021-01-25 5:32 PM

After all, what is the alternative?

The most obvious alternative where the Pfizer vaccine is concerned - is to follow the instructions issued by the people who developed it and tested it so thoroughly.

I believe that, at the moment, the Moderna vaccine is recommended to be given 4 weeks apart - why not treble that waiting time as well if it gets more people ' vaccinated' ?

:-|

malc d - 2021-01-25 5:45 PM

2 Yes, because there is no certainty. If we'd waited for certainty none of the vaccines would be in use, with catastrophic consequences for everyone.

The most obvious alternative where the Pfizer vaccine is concerned - is to follow the instructions issued by the people who developed it and tested it so thoroughly. :-|

The foreseeable consequence of which would be rising hospital admissions, the NHS unable to cope, and rising deaths. That is not the option I'd take Malc.

The fact that the tests were conducted based on a 21 day delay between doses doesn't prove that different delay periods between doses would give less favourable results. Simply, those alternative possibilities weren't tested. If experience (I'm assuming that those already vaccinated with the first dose will be being monitored) begins to indicate problems, a rethink will be necessary. Otherwise, as things stand, the probable advantages appear to be greater than the possible disadvantages. Under present circumstances, I honestly don't think we have much choice.

Brian Kirby - 2021-01-25 5:11 PM

Barryd999 - 2021-01-25 2:20 PM

That ITV links incorrect Brian, goes to quiz shows. This is the one you want. https://www.itv.com/hub/outbreak-the-virus-that-shook-the-world/10a0476a0001

I listened to the relevant bit of the Radio 4 broadcast. Not watched the other two but I still dont see how they have any evidence that a 12 week wait will be either good or bad. Plus it seems something scientists are at loggerheads about.

What is of more concern though is the number of mutations this virus suddenly seems to have taken on, especially the South African version which some there are saying it may have found a way round antibodies. So the Elephant in the room is what happens when or if a variant comes along that the vaccinations have no effect on? They will presumably then have to produce a new vaccine for that (if they can) and If it takes a year to vaccinate everyone wont this just end up being the permanent way things are? Restrictions and lockdowns. Its a grim prospect if it is.

Thanks Barry, I didn't find their website very user friendly! BTW, the other two BBC links are to R4 programs, so nothing to watch!

There is no evidence (nor can there be) based on this vaccine, but there is from other anti-viral vaccines, with one or two immunologists saying that the immunity generally goes on growing over time, and does not generally decay within timescales as short as 12 weeks. I take these to be serious people with reputations to protect, so I don't think they'd speak carelessly.

On mutations, it seems that viruses don't breed true, so in pretty well all cases what you pass on once infected, is never quite the same as what you were passed when you became infected. That seems to be the reasoning underlying the decision to get at least one dose into as many people as possible, as quickly as possible. It isn't that the wait is good, just that it offers the possibility of gaining greater protection for the greatest number in the least time.

The manufacturers have been saying they think cooking up a vaccine tweak to counter a mutation (which after all will still be essentially the same virus) that the present vaccine can't deal with would only take a few weeks, with a few more to substitute that into the manufacturing runs. In any event the virus is expected to remain in circulation pretty well indefinitely, and unless it mutates into a harmless form, we are all now going to need annual vaccinations just as for flu. Bummer, innit! :-)

Thanks Brian

This is the bit that I am struggling with though. I am aware that tweaking the vaccine to take account of new variants can be done quickly but two things trouble me. Firstly does the new tweaked vaccine still cover the previous variants but secondly, the main concern is all those people already vaccinated with the old vaccine are no longer protected and sadly in this case it will be the most vulnerable who have now had the existing vaccine. Rolling out the vaccine to everyone is what will take the longest time. It will be like painting the Forth Bridge.

Still, it is what it is. Ill take what ever is on offer over what ever time plan.

Brian Kirby - 2021-01-25 6:07 PM

malc d - 2021-01-25 5:45 PM

2 Yes, because there is no certainty. If we'd waited for certainty none of the vaccines would be in use, with catastrophic consequences for everyone.

The most obvious alternative where the Pfizer vaccine is concerned - is to follow the instructions issued by the people who developed it and tested it so thoroughly. :-|

The foreseeable consequence of which would be rising hospital admissions, the NHS unable to cope, and rising deaths. That is not the option I'd take Malc.

I understand that the Moderna vaccine is recommended to be given at 4 weeks intervals.

It will be interesting to see if that is trebled - for the same reason.

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2021-01-25 4:45 PM

Chuckle ...

... Merci Macron xxx

Off the same string....but you ignore in preference to still soaking up the lies peddled by Johnsons government.

Seems to me ;-) ......

Nice to see your intellectual input back again Dave.

Just sayin'

;-)

I doubt a bunch of OAP Moho owners bumping their gums can be classed as intellectual conversation Malc :D ........

I'm only back because of the way this LOSER biased forum turned on a fellow Brexiteer 8-) ........

Which has confirmed just how Nasty those on the Left or Right can be........After they LOST >:-) .......

I admit I have no idea of the rights and wrongs of the governments decision I would just like to point out that an accidental 50% lower first dose of the Oxford Astra Zenica vaccination resulted in a massive increase of it's defectiveness from 70% to 90%. so who really knows what is best.

pelmetman - 2021-01-25 6:28 PM

Chuckle ...

... Merci Macron xxx

Seems to me ;-) ......

Just sayin'

;-)

I doubt a bunch of OAP Moho owners bumping their gums can be classed as intellectual conversation Malc :D ........

Precisely.

That is why your input, at a higher intellectual level, is so welcome.

Thanks again.

;-)

Chuckle ...

... Merci Macron xxx

Seems to me ;-) ......

Just sayin'

;-)

I'm only back because of the way this LOSER biased forum turned on a fellow Brexiteer 8-) ........

Which has confirmed just how Nasty those on the Left or Right can be........After they LOST >:-) .......

Are you the Cavalry Dave? I bet the members of Chatterbollox are s**tting themselves now! (lol)

Give over, you are back because you got bored of sitting in your luxury greenhouse drinking Blue Nun all day long on your own.

Chuckle ...

... Merci Macron xxx

Seems to me ;-) ......

Just sayin'

;-)

Been pretty disgraceful Dave ... Bullying, trolling, name calling, insults, doxxing etc etc ... All because I dared to disagree about POTUS Trump ... How very dare I

Birdbrain - 2021-01-25 7:09 PM

Chuckle ...

... Merci Macron xxx

Seems to me ;-) ......

Just sayin'

;-)

Been pretty disgraceful Dave ... Bullying, trolling, name calling, insults, doxxing etc etc ... All because I dared to disagree about POTUS Trump ... How very dare I

Ring ring.....

jumpstart - 2021-01-25 7:15 PM

Birdbrain - 2021-01-25 7:09 PM

Chuckle ...

... Merci Macron xxx

Seems to me ;-) ......

Just sayin'

;-)

Ring ring.....

Ye ... I forgot about the phone calls ... Nice one Jumped thanks

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2021-01-25 6:38 PM

Chuckle ...

... Merci Macron xxx

Seems to me ;-) ......

Just sayin'

;-)

Are you the Cavalry Dave? I bet the members of Chatterbollox are s**tting themselves now! (lol)

Give over, you are back because you got bored of sitting in your luxury greenhouse drinking Blue Nun all day long on your own.

Brexiteers don't need to hunt in packs to see off you LOSERS :D ........

Plus I have more time now due to having some £15 per hour SA migrant labour B-) .......

That'll get Bullet frothing at the mouth ;-) .........

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2021-01-25 6:36 PM

Chuckle ...

... Merci Macron xxx

Seems to me ;-) ......

Just sayin'

;-)

Precisely.

That is why your input, at a higher intellectual level, is so welcome.

Thanks again.

;-)

Aww shucks Malc........a subtle p*ss take.......I'd forgotten what they were like :D ......

Just remembering :-> .........

Bulletguy - 2021-01-25 8:38 PM

Doesn't help matters when they have a lunatic Covid denier Bolsonaro as President. :-|

Funny how countries run by right wing populist leaders have massively lost control of the virus. Brazil, Trump with his Bleach and Take it on the chin Johnson.

Barryd999 - 2021-01-25 9:49 PM

Take it on the chin Johnson.

I guess they chickened out when they realised the political damage of all the deaths happening at once.

So they have swung back and forth between draconian lockdown, and 'Eat out to spread it around', getting us the worst of both worlds. :-S

One of the most memorable times of the crisis for me is walking around the windswept harbour in Oban where social distancing signs said 2 metres.

Then going in to the pub area and seeing a sign saying 'you are now entering a 1 metre social distancing area.'

Historians of the crisis will look back on Rishi Sunaks scam with incredulity.

But giving away public money made him the most popular politician in the Government.

The Daily Mail called his eat out to spread it around scam 'ingenious' :-S

John52 - 2021-01-26 5:49 AM

One of the most memorable times of the crisis for me is walking around the windswept harbour in Oban where social distancing signs said 2 metres.

Then going in to the pub area and seeing a sign saying 'you are now entering a 1 metre social distancing area.'

Historians of the crisis will look back on Rishi Sunaks scam with incredulity.

But giving away public money made him the most popular politician in the Government.

The Daily Mail called his eat out to spread it around scam 'ingenious' :-S

Which pub in Oban??? ... We were in Oban this year and I don't recall any 1 metre social distancing signs and that wasn't just in Oban either ... What I do recall is having to wait at the door to be seated in socially distance areas, giving our details and not mixing with others at all ... More Hollywood fantasy stuff me thinks

John52 - 2021-01-26 6:43 AM

BoJo's chum and main beneficiary of Sunak's eat out to spread it around scam - Wetherspoons at Oban ferry terminal.

And whoever gave their real contact details *-)

Surprising ... We went to Wetherspoons ... Saw nothing of what you claim ... Cant say I have seen any issue or had any concerns that rules aren't being kept to at any pub or restaurant we have been in ... If you so were concerned about this supposed 1 metre rule or any of the eat out policy why go into any pub, no one is forcing ya??? ... "whoever gave their real contact details" ??? ... I don't know because unlike you I cant claim to speak or know what all the others who've eaten do ... You seem to suggest you do, prolly know what they ate n'all ... Chuckle ... Can I say chuckle Stuart???

Archived