We also need a solution for Bad Black Behaviour

StuartO

It's been suggested on this thread that Bad White Behaviour is a problem in society too, which of course it is.

Somebody organised a light aircraft to tow a banner reading "White Lives Matter Burnley" over the Etihad Stadium in Manchester during the Premier Match (in an empty stadium) between Manchester City and Burnley, shortly after all the players had "Taken the Knee" in support of Black Lives Matter.

Burnley FC have responded with an announcement disowning the gesture and a determination to ban the perpetrators for life. Blackpool Council, which owns Blackpool Airport, where the aircraft came from have announced a ban on all banner flights and an intention to evict the hire company which took the booking altogether. Lancashire Police have investigated and said that no offence has been committted.

Was this Bad White Behaviour?

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
StuartO - 2020-06-24 8:20 AM

It's been suggested on this thread that Bad White Behaviour is a problem in society too, which of course it is.

Somebody organised a light aircraft to tow a banner reading "White Lives Matter Burnley" over the Etihad Stadium in Manchester during the Premier Match (in an empty stadium) between Manchester City and Burnley, shortly after all the players had "Taken the Knee" in support of Black Lives Matter.

Burnley FC have responded with an announcement disowning the gesture and a determination to ban the perpetrators for life. Blackpool Council, which owns Blackpool Airport, where the aircraft came from have announced a ban on all banner flights and an intention to evict the hire company which took the booking altogether. Lancashire Police have investigated and said that no offence has been committted.

I've never heard anyone say that " white lives don't matter " - so I'm a bit mystified as to why the banner was flown.

So - bad behaviour ? --------------- Not really.

Just a bit pointless as far as I'm concerned.

( Aerial Trolling perhaps ? )

;-)

p.s. Maybe it's a local problem in Burnley ?

:-|

StuartO - 2020-06-24 8:20 AM

Farting in public is bad behaviour, don’t think it’s illegal though. They probably do that in Burnley as well. It’s all gone a bit PC nuts.

StuartO - 2020-06-24 7:56 AM

An aspect of Bad Black Behaviour we need to resolve is over-sensitivity to symbols or slights which are perceived as offensive when there is no intent. For example in the past 24 hours a story has broken about a NASCAR driver in the US who is up in arms about a noose which was found hanging in the garage he was allocated at a racetrack. It turn out that the noose was a pull for closing the door and it had been there for at least the past six months, long before the garage was allocated to him. He's the only African-American NASCAR driver and he didn't take it well; he's made it a topic of public outrage. A noose , in his mind, is an offensive reminder of slavery. presumably in his mind, no one should be allowed to display any sort of noose anywhere where it might offend an AfricanAmerican person.

I think this is an example of over-sensitivity. The door pull was installed before his time and was not intended for him in particular, it was presumably somebody's idea of decorative good taste - although in many people's eyes of course, skulls and daggers and nooses are not good taste at all.

So shoudn't he be told to shut up and stop being so touchy? Is he aggravating the present situation of BLM demonstrations etc unnecessarily by making a fuss about this? Is it possible that he is doing this opportunistically, to generate personal publicity?

To be fair to the driver I now understand it was one of his support team who complained and triggered an FBI investigation into whether there had been a hate crime, which they decided there hadn't.

Precisely another nuts PC situation. What’s going to happen on Guy Fawkes night when a Black Guy gets torched.

Brian Kirby - 2020-06-23 6:49 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-06-23 11:55 AM

Brian Kirby - 2020-06-23 11:43 AM

Birdbrain - 2020-06-22 4:19 PM

Brian Kirby - 2020-06-22 3:38 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-06-22 1:57 PM

Brian Kirby - 2020-06-22 12:23 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-06-22 12:16 PM.......................Well seen as most of us live in the here and now lets look at modern multiculturalism , since the war and seen as we are all good Europeans and fighting to stay part of Europe lets stay in Europe and in the EU and because obviously the EU is so great and many want to stay in it because its so great it should also mean that multiculturalism in those EU countries has been a success ... Which countries in the EU have made a success of multiculturalism since the war ??? Success would be of course folks throughout the country mentioned living together in perfect harmony

Are you aware of any country in which "folks throughout the country" .........….live "together in perfect harmony", from any time in recorded history? This sounds awfully like that wonderfully ideal, but unattainable, place, Eutopia. Do you really mean that?

Well I don't try and sell multiculturalism as a must have benefit ... If multiculturalism does not bring harmony , the opposite actually what are the benefits of it ??? ... Why do we need to ship in multi-cultures to an already unharmonious place ??? ... Do you have an EU country where multiculturalism has worked ???

Hmmm. Which merely returns us to the first question I asked earlier, which you didn't answer, which was:

What is your definition of multiculturalism? (So that we are all talking about the same thing.)

You answered my second question, "How are you measuring whether or not it is succeeding? (So that we are all applying a common standard.) by saying "folks throughout the country mentioned living together in perfect harmony", which is not, and never has been, attained in any country - whether ethnically pure or otherwise.

You have set a Utopian target that can only be achieved by the Gods - and if ancient literature is any guide, not even by them!

So why, if that level of social harmony cannot be attained even in an ethnically pure state, should a multi-ethnic state that cannot achieve that same level of harmony, be judged a failure? This just doesn't make sense.

1 Do what you normally do Brian and Wiki the definition …

2 You and the likes of you try tell the likes of me that multiculturalism benefits us ... Sell me the benefits or cant you ??? ...

3 I note you still havent supplied an EU country name where multiculturalism has worked

1 I already did, back on page two, on 18 June 2020 at 6:47 PM. You didn't read that, did you, or say which is the closest fit to your yardstick? So, you just ask the same question again. In the absence of your preferred definition there can be no discussion, as we wont know what we are discussing, will we? So, time to get off the pot!

2 To use a favourite ploy of yours, you'll have to show me where I said that. There is no likes of me - I am unique! :-D

3 No because you don't/won't/can't get of the fence with your definition of multiculturalism, and your definition of "worked" is to cite a Utopian wonderland. The question is just above. Answer please. Time for you to do some work - instead of asking others to do it all for you! :-D Chop chop! :-D

I applaud you for your 'whataboutery' in not answering my EU question ... Excellent

Nuts! You're just too frightened to nail your colours to the mast and facilitate an informed discussion. You know you've lost before you start. :-) Utopia doesn't exist. There, start from that premise.

So under those circumstances, where we have no definition, the only possible answer to your question is that it has worked in all of them, in different ways, as dictated by the ethnic mixes they have absorbed which, of course, vary from one country to the next.

Your defence of failed multiculturalism is that Utopia doesnt exist ... Couldn't agree more , so why add to the failings in society already with the failure of multiculturalism that you seem to champion ??? Where is the logic in adding failure to an already imperfect country or countries unless you can show the many benefits of multiculturalism and a little more than just "curry" which we had as you know long before mass immigration from India and Pakistan etc ??? ... Makes you wonder why countries like Poland and Hungary fight so hard to stay Polish and Hungarian doesnt it

Birdbrain, You and Brian are getting nowhere with this. Why don't to agree to differ on the basis that you see poor progress with multiculturalism (eg in Bradford) as evidence of hopeless failure while Brian sees it as an opportunity? Why don't you send Brian some housing information so he can consider moving North to solve the problem for us all?

StuartO - 2020-06-24 1:40 PM

Birdbrain, You and Brian are getting nowhere with this. Why don't to agree to differ on the basis that you see poor progress with multiculturalism (eg in Bradford) as evidence of hopeless failure while Brian sees it as an opportunity? Why don't you send Brian some housing information so he can consider moving North to solve the problem for us all?

Oooh no ... Those that rave about multiculturalism dont want to live anywhere near it in my experience , specially those preachers on here who live in almost exclusive white only areas ... Happy to call it a draw though with me slightly a lot in the lead

StuartO - 2020-06-24 7:56 AM

An aspect of Bad Black Behaviour we need to resolve is over-sensitivity to symbols or slights which are perceived as offensive when there is no intent. For example in the past 24 hours a story has broken about a NASCAR driver in the US who is up in arms about a noose which was found hanging in the garage he was allocated at a racetrack. It turn out that the noose was a pull for closing the door and it had been there for at least the past six months, long before the garage was allocated to him. He's the only African-American NASCAR driver and he didn't take it well; he's made it a topic of public outrage. A noose , in his mind, is an offensive reminder of slavery. presumably in his mind, no one should be allowed to display any sort of noose anywhere where it might offend an AfricanAmerican person.

To be fair to the driver I now understand it was one of his support team who complained and triggered an FBI investigation into whether there had been a hate crime, which they decided there hadn't.

I read various reports on this and the first question that came to me was for a professional motorsport not known for penny pinching cost cutting, fashioning a noose as a door pull is pretty sloppy and cack-handed. Whilst most doors will be roller shutter and/or electronic, any with a door pull (which is very much 70's stuff!) would have a cord and substantial toggle at the end.

I've had both remote control electronic and manual, the latter of which all had a thick cord and toggle. A noose wouldn't offend me.....but then i'm neither black or African-American living in US where lynching blacks was common and seen as family 'entertainment' by white folk. Black people living in UK didn't get lynched or suffer segregation but many were subjected to racial abuse for no other reason than the colour of their skin. Watch Anthony Bryans experience i linked to and then ask how we would feel about being dragged from our home and incarcerated without due process.

Birdbrain - 2020-06-24 2:11 PM

Oooh no ... Those that rave about multiculturalism dont want to live anywhere near it in my experience , specially those preachers on here who live in almost exclusive white only areas ... Happy to call it a draw though with me slightly a lot in the lead

The only person raving about it is you. Multiculturalism is in everyone’s DNA from thousands of years,so it’s here anyway. To say is it a success is the same as saying does it have a flavour, you can’t partition it like that.

Bulletguy - 2020-06-24 2:56 PM

I read various reports on this and the first question that came to me was for a professional motorsport not known for penny pinching cost cutting, fashioning a noose as a door pull is pretty sloppy and cack-handed.

Maybe to the people who made it - it was simply a loop ?

jumpstart - 2020-06-24 3:01 PM

The only person raving about it is you. Multiculturalism is in everyone’s DNA from thousands of years,so it’s here anyway. To say is it a success is the same as saying does it have a flavour, you can’t partition it like that.

So if I am from a multicultural background I can discuss the failings of multiculturalism without fear of the usual predictable names and insults then cant I ... Thankyou ... Many of us have neanderthal DNA also , given you're raving on about "thousands of years ago" I assume you do

I don’t mind being accommodating to anyone who had a genuine problem with something if tell me what the problem is politely. But I don’t accept any obligation to anticipate their offended ness, if that’s what their problem is. It’s when you are faced with demands or coercion that my instinct turns against. Which why I felt that Lewis Hamilton (a person I admire greatly) was imposing on his fellow drivers because he personally felt a lot of empathy with the George Floyd BLM thing - but that was his urge to show his empathy, I don’t feel comfortable with him making public demand for everyone else to join In with his gestures. If someone asked me politely to take the knee in support of BLM I’d politely decline because it’s not my cause (and due process is yet to happen, so I’ll reserve judgement) but if someone demanded that I kneel for BLM I’d probably tell them to go proliferate.

I don’t feel strongly about someone wanting to fly the “White Lives Matter Burnley!” Banner over the football ground, even though I can understand the players who had just, as a group gesture, taken the knee in support of BLM, feeling a bit upset or annoyed. But freedom of expression requires us all to tolerate feeling upset or annoyed if someone else does want to say something, not that I understand what the banner was supposed to be actually saying. Even if it was intended to say that BLM should stop taking itself so seriously by deliberately causing offence, that seems to me to be within acceptable bounds of what freedom of speech is about. As the police have said, it wasn’t illegal. It’s not illegal to express a conflicting opinion, if that’s what it was. I don’t approve of either Burnley FC or Blackpool Council over-reacting about it in the way they seem to have done.

malc d - 2020-06-24 3:04 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-06-24 2:56 PM

I read various reports on this and the first question that came to me was for a professional motorsport not known for penny pinching cost cutting, fashioning a noose as a door pull is pretty sloppy and cack-handed.

Maybe to the people who made it - it was simply a loop ?

Yes, the point i was making though Malc is those garages aren't just any old garage, they're bays (usually fronting the pit stop) of a multi million dollar sport so to have a piece of cord to manually close the door is crude and cheapskate.

Bulletguy - 2020-06-24 5:04 PM Yes, the point i was making though Malc is those garages aren't just any old garage, they're bays (usually fronting the pit stop) of a multi million dollar sport so to have a piece of cord to manually close the door is crude and cheapskate.

My electric garage door has a manual override pull thingy which just dangles. I can imagine someone might want to make a feature of it if he had time on his hands.

StuartO - 2020-06-24 5:23 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-06-24 5:04 PM Yes, the point i was making though Malc is those garages aren't just any old garage, they're bays (usually fronting the pit stop) of a multi million dollar sport so to have a piece of cord to manually close the door is crude and cheapskate.

My electric garage door has a manual override pull thingy which just dangles. I can imagine someone might want to make a feature of it if he had time on his hands.

Presumably Stuart, if you had bought a multi million pound garage, it would come without a pull thingy, and you would have to fit yourself.

I saw a picture of the Nescar garages and it seems several of them have bits of cord hanging down.

;-)

Birdbrain - 2020-06-24 3:54 PM

jumpstart - 2020-06-24 3:01 PM

So if I am from a multicultural background I can discuss the failings of multiculturalism without fear of the usual predictable names and insults then cant I ... Thankyou ... Many of us have neanderthal DNA also , given you're raving on about "thousands of years ago" I assume you do

You’re the one with security issues.

malc d - 2020-06-24 5:40 PM

StuartO - 2020-06-24 5:23 PM

Presumably Stuart, if you had bought a multi million pound garage, it would come without a pull thingy, and you would have to fit yourself.

I saw a picture of the Nescar garages and it seems several of them have bits of cord hanging down.

;-)

I didn’t express myself well; I think all electric garage door have them in case of a power cut. They release the truck so that the door can be opened manually. They spend all their time dangling!

Birdbrain - 2020-06-23 9:24 AM

jumpstart - 2020-06-23 7:35 AM

Birdbrain - 2020-06-23 7:14 AM

jumpstart - 2020-06-23 6:55 AM

That’s why I said you were permanently confused..You want confirmation of perfect harmony in ethnic relations in a country. It doesn’t exist. Bit like saying you want evidence everybody is happy in a country.

But that doesn’t mean multicultural failure.

Thankyou ... "it doesnt exist" ... So why create so much trouble trying to force its existence ... Thankyou for the clear answer

Why is this a revelation to you. Various people have said all along that there are problems in relations,it’s not perfect but it’s not a failure. It’s a natural occurrence which is increasing. It can’t be stopped now.

Multiculturalism has benefits allegedly , makes us a better society to have it allegedly ... Well given you and your friends have given no examples of the benefits we take from it other than curry and I think someone said pyjamas then I can only conclude it adds to an already problematic world and it has to be classed as a failure or maybe you can show for example an EU country that has made a success of it ??? ... …………….

That is because the test you have set for success is "folks throughout the country mentioned living together in perfect harmony". That, as I said earlier, is Utopian. No country can pass, whatever the composition of its population, can it?

That is exactly why I asked you way back (This string, 18 June 2020 6:47 PM), what definition of "multicultural" you would accept, and gave a Wiki link to help. You ran away from that, and continued to do so until I gave up trying to make sense of your point.

So, now we have Antony wanting multicultural societies he won't define (so none can know if we are discussing the same thing) to perform so that "folks throughout the country" ......….live "together in perfect harmony", and if they don't, they are failures.

And where does that get us? It gets us to labelling all countries around the world, wherever and whenever they have existed, whatever ethnic mix of peoples their populations may have contained, as "failures". No wonder he thinks multiculturalism a failure. By his standard all cultures are failures, mono or multi. No exceptions, no remissions. Countries either attain perfect social harmony, or they fail, with nothing between.

On that basis Francis Fukuyama wasted his time writing "The End of History", because throughout time we have failed to create history, so there can be no end! :-D

StuartO - 2020-06-24 4:08 PM

I don’t feel strongly about someone wanting to fly the “White Lives Matter Burnley!” Banner over the football ground......As the police have said, it wasn’t illegal. It’s not illegal to express a conflicting opinion, if that’s what it was. I don’t approve of either Burnley FC or Blackpool Council over-reacting about it in the way they seem to have done.

Not illegal no but given the situation, hardly helpful, most certainly not in the best interests of the club and probably not for Burnley itself. After all Burnley FC has a responsibility to the FA though i doubt anyone ever considered that.

I posted the club statement so have read it and can't see anything that's over-reacting. They are working with authorities (i assume police) "to identify those responsible and issue lifetime bans." They go on to say, "The club has a proud record of working with all genders, religions and faiths through its award-winning Community scheme, and stands against racism of any kind."

I can't see anything 'over-reactionary' in that.....just a business acting professionally.

StuartO - 2020-06-22 4:14 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-06-22 3:57 PM Stop and search of black people is disproportionate to that of white though.

Between April 2018 and March 2019, there were 4 stop and searches for every 1,000 White people, compared with 38 for every 1,000 Black people

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/crime-justice-and-the-law/policing/stop-and-search/latest

That's a lot less important in my eyes than dealing with the crime. If you park up late at night in a car with darkened front windows and the police can see that someone is inside of course it's suspicious. Black people have the same obligation as all of us to cooperate with police activity. Tough s**t if they get stopped more often because there's disproportionately more crime amongst blacks, especially in some areas.

That might be possible if members of those non-white communities believed that the reason they were being stopped (or whatever) was a genuine suspicion of crime, and not merely due to the colour of their skin. That latter perception, whether or not we like it or want to recognise it, exists, and it is that perception that drives their responses.

There are many, many, examples of honest, law-abiding, BAME citizens who will tell anyone who asks, that they have repeatedly been stopped and questioned, and not infrequently searched, by the police acting on suspicions that turn out to be groundless. If they protest or argue, they are liable to arrest. Understandably, IMO, they become resentful of this treatment, and conditioned to expect it. This is the same reaction that Pavlov observed in his dogs. It is the most basic human psychology. The way in which a person (or a dog) is treated conditions his/its responses.

Bulletguy - 2020-06-24 6:26 PM

StuartO - 2020-06-24 4:08 PM

I don’t feel strongly about someone wanting to fly the “White Lives Matter Burnley!” Banner over the football ground......As the police have said, it wasn’t illegal. It’s not illegal to express a conflicting opinion, if that’s what it was. I don’t approve of either Burnley FC or Blackpool Council over-reacting about it in the way they seem to have done.

Not illegal no but given the situation, hardly helpful, most certainly not in the best interests of the club and probably not for Burnley itself. After all Burnley FC has a responsibility to the FA though i doubt anyone ever considered that.

I posted the club statement so have read it and can't see anything that's over-reacting. They are working with authorities (i assume police) "to identify those responsible and issue lifetime bans." They go on to say, "The club has a proud record of working with all genders, religions and faiths through its award-winning Community scheme, and stands against racism of any kind."

I can't see anything 'over-reactionary' in that.....just a business acting professionally.

He’s now been sacked from his job. Burnley Council say they are outraged by the whole incident. There is a reporter on Sky who is black in a video saying it is absolutely unacceptable to say white lives matter because it directly confronts the BLM group. He also says white lives do matter as well . But presumably just don’t say it.

StuartO - 2020-06-24 8:20 AM...……………………..Somebody organised a light aircraft to tow a banner reading "White Lives Matter Burnley" over the Etihad Stadium in Manchester during the Premier Match (in an empty stadium) between Manchester City and Burnley, shortly after all the players had "Taken the Knee" in support of Black Lives Matter.........................Was this Bad White Behaviour?

No, just a few misguided white guys expressing their disappointment that, by comparison to black guys, not enough of them had been killed by the police. Should be easily fixed!:-D

Brian Kirby - 2020-06-24 6:47 PM

StuartO - 2020-06-24 8:20 AM...……………………..Somebody organised a light aircraft to tow a banner reading "White Lives Matter Burnley" over the Etihad Stadium in Manchester during the Premier Match (in an empty stadium) between Manchester City and Burnley, shortly after all the players had "Taken the Knee" in support of Black Lives Matter.........................Was this Bad White Behaviour?

No, just a few misguided white guys expressing their disappointment that, by comparison to black guys, not enough of them had been killed by the police. Should be easily fixed!:-D

Presume we are talking UK Brian as Burnley is in the UK ... Blacks killed by cops here , please show ... The reverse of that might be more correct

Archived