Fiat Ducato Alternator output.

AndyLou

I may be wrong but I believe that a good DC-DC converter with an output voltage compatible with this technology should be placed between the alternator and the lithium battery.

At this point the voltage supplied by the alternator becomes irrelevant.

3 hours ago, AndyLou said:

check the output of the alternator

What is important is the 'spare ' capacity of the alternator at low engine speeds. 

Fitting a 30A battery to battery charger is possible in most vans without issues, this limits the vehicle draw  to around  35 amps.  Due to the low Internal  resistance of the lithium battery, direct connect connection will alow high currents to to flow, perhaps putting the alternator into saturation. There may also be an issue with existing charge control relays and cables being inadequate.

Consider Victron Orion Tri smart non isolated 12 12 30,

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/victron-orion-tr-smart-1212-30a-non-isolated-dc-dc-charger.html

There can be problems integrating with the existing electrical system but there are easily resolved. 

5 hours ago, AndyLou said:

...output of the alternator.

Does anyone know where I can find this info

I don't know what vehicle you have?

On the X2/50 the standard alternator was 150 amp.

There was an optional 180 amp alternator, which became standard with the smart alternator on the X2/90

I'm not familiar with earlier Ducatos, but heard they had lower outputs like 90 amps

5 hours ago, AndyLou said:

I want to change to a lithium battery and the sales people said that I would need to check the output of the alternator.

Andy,

Do they mean output current or voltage?

Some Lithium batteries require a specific voltage to charge, iirc this a maximum voltage and an alternator designed for a FLA battery has too high an output voltage whereas an alternator designed for an AGM battery is OK.

Keith.

14 hours ago, Keithl said:

an alternator designed for a FLA battery has too high an output voltage whereas an alternator designed for an AGM battery is OK

Voltage is not the main issue when converting to lithium. Lead acid batteries  of any type, have a much higher Internal resistance then lithium,  and self limit charge current. In a typical motor home set up this will, be in the region of 10 to 20 amps. A lithium battery,  without any current limiting control, could take 50 to 100 amps from the alternator. 

Typical alternator voltage will be 14.2 to 14.4 volts,  unless you have the later Euro 6 start stop smart alternator. 

Regarding current output of the alternator,  from 07 onwards its a 150 or 180 or 200 amp rated, 99 to 06 is 90 amp rated. Output at engine idle speed will be around 70% of maximum.

There is considerable mis information about charging lithium batteries,  even from the battery suppliers and so called lithium  chargers. Any charger with 'target' charge voltage from 13.8 volts to 14.6 volts will charge. Ideal is 14.0 or 14.2 volts. Absorbtion period should be short, less than1 hour. Float volts no more than  13.5 volts. 

Unlike lead acid batteries  lithium batteries dont have to be kept 'full'. In fact keeping the fully charged lithium battery  at voltages  over 13.5 volts , for long periods, will reduce service life. 

11 hours ago, AndyLou said:

I want to change to a lithium battery and the sales people said that I would need to check the output of the alternator.

Does anyone know where I can find this info

TIA

Andy

Hi Andy

I think you should inform all, as to what  Fiat Ducato Alternator you may have fitted 

Regards

Edited by onecal

When I wanted to check the rating of the alternator on my 2.8jtd, I found the alternator label difficult to read.  I took a photo and enlarged the image.  The rating of the OEM alternator on my 2.8jtd is 90A. As posted by @John52 above, more recent models than my x244 have higher rated alternators.

If I was to fit a lithium battery, and take advantage of the faster recharge times offered by lithium batteries, I would also have to replace the allternator, and the B2B, which being an older version, does not have a lithium setting. Mounting a larger B2B, in the confines of my PVC, would require some igenuity.

Alan

Edited by Alanb
  • Like 1

On 24/02/2024 at 18:58, Alanb said:

Mounting a larger B2B, in the confines of my PVC, would require some igenuity.

Do you mean mounting a bigger alternator would require some ingenuity?  If its anything like the later models access is very difficult and only possible from underneath. Although Fiat do list an optional 220 amp alternator for X2/90 ambulances etc.  Should be possible to see the rating plate from underneath with an endoscope.  I got one as a Lidl special offer.  Its awkward to use, particularly steering the tiny camera on the end of the long stiff cable, but it does enable you to see things you couldn't see without dismantling.  One of those things you will probably never use, but could be very useful sometime.

Thanks for confirming  what I thought was the alternator output on earlier models

Edited by John52

4 hours ago, John52 said:

Do you mean mounting a bigger alternator would require some ingenuity?  If its anything like the later models access is very difficult and only possible from underneath. Although Fiat do list an optional 220 amp alternator for X2/90 ambulances etc.  Should be possible to see the rating plate from underneath with an endoscope.  I got one as a Lidl special offer.  Its awkward to use, particularly steering the tiny camera on the end of the long stiff cable, but it does enable you to see things you couldn't see without dismantling.  One of those things you will probably never use, but could be very useful sometime.

Thanks for confirming  what I thought was the alternator output on earlier models

No, I confirm B2B, which is a 20A rated CTEK, and was fitted some years ago, when there were fewer alternatives available. The 20A rating matches the recommended C/10 charging rate for 2x100Ah FLA batteries. (The fridge 12V supply is diverted so as not to draw power via the B2B.)

The purchase of an inexpensive endoscope is on my bucket list. Unfortunately until recently there was no local Lidl, and the centre aisle of Aldi is becoming less interesting.

Alan

Edited by Alanb
  • Like 1